Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers can't understand this at all. Post 302107889 by Calum on Wednesday 21st of February 2007 11:21:39 AM
Old 02-21-2007
by the way, i suspect the reason your script runs fine without that line has something to do with it running using *your* shell. As above, it's much more sensible to specify the path to a command interpreter explicitly, since then you can specify which command interpreter to use in each script (for example, if you have different scripts that use different command interpreters). Depending on how your system's set up, you'd usually have to type "sh ./nameofscript" or something similar to run a script using an interpreter other than the one specified.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't understand

how i can download this game n start it :S (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BoyArcher
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't quite understand this regex

The following regular expression is found in a book I have been reading. It apparently can be used on an /etc/passwd file to find any accounts which have no password. I am having a heck of a time seeing how it works, and I was wondering if someone could run me through it. I will take a stab at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kermit
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Understand PATH

I'm new to unix so sorry for the confusing question. I installed OPENSSL following these instructions. Installing OpenSSH Packages - SPARC and Intel/Solaris 8 I need to run this command, "openssl req -newkey rsa:1024 -keyout server.pf.key -out req.pem" from a keyreq folder I created. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
13 Replies

4. Programming

Trying to understand kernel

Hi all, I'm a user and a programmer of UNIX based systems (mainly FreeBSD and Linux). I have never programmed or tried to fully understand the kernel layer. I haven't a special propouse for learning it, but I'd like to. Can anyone suggest me books, documentation or examples that may help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help can't understand the code

Hi All, Good day, i'm just wondering what is the meaning of this code? COUNT_EXTRACTED_FILE=`${ECHO_CMD} "${SE_IN_PATH}${SE_IN_FILE}" | ${AWK_CMD} -F"__" '{print $2}'` Thanks, -niks(newbie) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't understand!

Hi All, can you please help me to figured out what's the meaning of this. ${SERVER_DATABASE} -b << EOF 2>>/dev/null THanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand IFS

Hi , i am in my initial learning phase of unix. i was going thru the function part. below is the example which was there but i am not able to understand logic and the use of IFS(internal field separator) lspath() { OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS=: for DIR in $PATH ; do echo $DIR ; done IFS="$OLDIFS"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

understand sed

cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit chowdury 26688726 If i use the below command , it is giving me the output with "," in between two name. how ? and also i would like to know the reason for the space used in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
1 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)