Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Record Length too long -- AWK Problem Post 302107134 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 14th of February 2007 03:29:37 PM
Old 02-14-2007
With printf you'll get an output of one long line. Try:

Code:
{print $2}

or

Code:
{printf $2 "\n"}

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX Default Record Length in AWK

Hello - QUESTION: Is there a way to override the default record length limitation over awk in Unix? Or, is there a better way to do what I am trying to do than the way I am trying to do it now? (See BACKGROUND and CURRENT PROCEDURE below...) BACKGROUND: In a Kornshell script, I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JLandry
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Record too long for awk

I am trying to generate a small report with the help of awk. The contents are present in a file whose last line is very long. I can't shorten this line as its generated after a lot of processing. On reading this file awk says record "starting of line ..." too long record number 30 Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & cut record separator problem

Hi All, I've got some strange behaviour going on when trying to manipulate a file that contains spaces. My input file looks something like this: xxxxxxxxx,yyyy,sss sss sss,bbbbbbb If I use awk: When running from the command line I get: sss sss sss But when running from a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK record length fix

Hi Friends, Need some help in AWK. Working on AIX 5 Have been trying the following functionality to make the record length fixed: if( length(record) < 300 ) { printf("%-300s\n", record); } In my opinion it will apply some fillers in the end. Its is not making any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find the length of each record.

Hi Guys, I wanted to print the length of each record and the record itself. I tried the following awk ... awk 'a=length(); {print $a,$0}' file1 But it is giving me the records instead of length. and also, it giving me each record twice. Means the value of a is not the length of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record too long error while running awk

I have written below script to add substring in a file containing fixed length record, but when I run below script I get error as: ERROR: awk: record `22503004502488344040...' too long My fixed length record has length around 2000, each file is having 5000 records and total number of files is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk: record too long

Hi All , I am getting record too long for the below command . nawk -F\" '{a=a" "$2} END{for(i in a) print i,a }' test|sort|awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) t=t"\t"$i;if(NF>max)max=NF} END{for(i=1;i<=max;i++)print t }' File test has 850 records ... Please help.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
MYISAM_FTDUMP(1)					       MySQL Database System						  MYISAM_FTDUMP(1)

NAME
myisam_ftdump - display full-text index information SYNOPSIS
myisam_ftdump [options] tbl_name index_num DESCRIPTION
myisam_ftdump displays information about FULLTEXT indexes in MyISAM tables. It reads the MyISAM index file directly, so it must be run on the server host where the table is located. Before using myisam_ftdump, be sure to issue a FLUSH TABLES statement first if the server is running. myisam_ftdump scans and dumps the entire index, which is not particularly fast. On the other hand, the distribution of words changes infrequently, so it need not be run often. Invoke myisam_ftdump like this: shell> myisam_ftdump [options] tbl_name index_num The tbl_name argument should be the name of a MyISAM table. You can also specify a table by naming its index file (the file with the .MYI suffix). If you do not invoke myisam_ftdump in the directory where the table files are located, the table or index file name must be preceded by the path name to the table's database directory. Index numbers begin with 0. Example: Suppose that the test database contains a table named mytexttablel that has the following definition: CREATE TABLE mytexttable ( id INT NOT NULL, txt TEXT NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (id), FULLTEXT (txt) ); The index on id is index 0 and the FULLTEXT index on txt is index 1. If your working directory is the test database directory, invoke myisam_ftdump as follows: shell> myisam_ftdump mytexttable 1 If the path name to the test database directory is /usr/local/mysql/data/test, you can also specify the table name argument using that path name. This is useful if you do not invoke myisam_ftdump in the database directory: shell> myisam_ftdump /usr/local/mysql/data/test/mytexttable 1 You can use myisam_ftdump to generate a list of index entries in order of frequency of occurrence like this: shell> myisam_ftdump -c mytexttable 1 | sort -r myisam_ftdump supports the following options: o --help, -h -? Display a help message and exit. o --count, -c Calculate per-word statistics (counts and global weights). o --dump, -d Dump the index, including data offsets and word weights. o --length, -l Report the length distribution. o --stats, -s Report global index statistics. This is the default operation if no other operation is specified. o --verbose, -v Verbose mode. Print more output about what the program does. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2008 MySQL AB, 2008-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Sun Microsystems, Inc. (http://www.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.1 04/06/2010 MYISAM_FTDUMP(1)