Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I want to record the difference in the content of files in different directory Post 302106955 by anbu23 on Tuesday 13th of February 2007 11:28:05 AM
Old 02-13-2007
Code:
ls /dir1 | while read x
do
str=$(diff /dir1/$x /dir2/$x )
[[ -n "$str" ]] && echo $x
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding difference between 2 directory recursively

Hi, i'm trying to compare two directories in Unix. I need a recursive search ie my shell script should also compare common files in those two directory and so on... any clues.. ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yayati
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move content from directory to another

I have in root directory a folder A and a Folder B. I want to copy or move all content (many files) from A to B. How do I do that UNIX style? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matsakii
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list the content of a directory

Hi I want to write a script that reads a directory name, checks if the directory exists and lists the content of that directory. That's what I have at the moment. function listDirectory { echo "Give in a directory name" read name #Here I want to check if the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hss
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

apply record separator to multiple files within a directory using awk

Hi, I have a bunch of records within a directory where each one has this form: (example file1) 1 2 50 90 80 90 43512 98 0909 79869 -9 7878 33222 8787 9090 89898 7878 8989 7878 6767 89 89 78676 9898 000 7878 5656 5454 5454 and i want for all of these files to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split content and write to new record

Hi, Help required to split record value and write to new row. Input a~b~c~value in ('3','4','5')~test output a~b~c~3~test a~b~c~4~test a~b~c~5~test input a~b~c~value in ('3','4')~test output a~b~c~3~test a~b~c~4~test (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with keep the record with share content

Input file: 1234 USA date 3421 USA date 3421 USA content 1234 USA1 date 34 USA1 content 1234 USA2 Sun 34 USA2 Sun 43 USA2 Sun 345 USA2 date 435 USA2 date1 Output file: 1234 USA date 3421 USA date 1234 USA1 date 1234 USA2 Sun 34 USA2 Sun 43 USA2 Sun (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find difference in content between two particular lines in two files

I have two files named Before.txt and After.txt: Now i want to find the difference in content between <Marker 1> and <Marker 2> in the two files. ---------- Post updated at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:50 PM ---------- Any help will be highly appreciated..:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total record count of all the file present in a directory

Hi All , We need one help on the below requirement.We have multiple pipe delimited .txt file(around 100 .txt files) present on one directory.We need the total record count of all the files present in that directory without header.File format as below : ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and list the difference with common first line content of both files

I have two file as given below which shows the ACL permissions of each file. I need to compare the source file with target file and list down the difference as specified below in required output. Can someone help me on this ? Source File ************* # file: /local/test_1 # owner: own #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
4 Replies
DirCompare(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   DirCompare(3pm)

NAME
File::DirCompare - Perl module to compare two directories using callbacks. SYNOPSIS
use File::DirCompare; # Simple diff -r --brief replacement use File::Basename; File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, sub { my ($a, $b) = @_; if (! $b) { printf "Only in %s: %s ", dirname($a), basename($a); } elsif (! $a) { printf "Only in %s: %s ", dirname($b), basename($b); } else { print "Files $a and $b differ "; } }); # Version-control like Deleted/Added/Modified listing my (@listing, @modified); # use closure to collect results File::DirCompare->compare('old_tree', 'new_tree', sub { my ($a, $b) = @_; if (! $b) { push @listing, "D $a"; } elsif (! $a) { push @listing, "A $b"; } else { if (-f $a && -f $b) { push @listing, "M $b"; push @modified, $b; } else { # One file, one directory - treat as delete + add push @listing, "D $a"; push @listing, "A $b"; } } }); DESCRIPTION
File::DirCompare is a perl module to compare two directories using a callback, invoked for all files that are 'different' between the two directories, and for any files that exist only in one or other directory ('unique' files). File::DirCompare has a single public compare() method, with the following signature: File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, $opts); The first three arguments are required - $dir1 and $dir2 are paths to the two directories to be compared, and $sub is the subroutine reference called for all unique or different files. $opts is an optional hashref of options - see OPTIONS below. The provided subroutine is called for all unique files, and for every pair of 'different' files encountered, with the following signature: $sub->($file1, $file2) where $file1 and $file2 are the paths to the two files. For 'unique' files i.e. where a file exists in only one directory, the subroutine is called with the other argument 'undef' i.e. for: $sub->($file1, undef) $sub->(undef, $file2) the first indicates $file1 exists only in the first directory given ($dir1), and the second indicates $file2 exists only in the second directory given ($dir2). OPTIONS The following optional arguments are supported, passed in using a hash reference after the three required arguments to compare() e.g. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { cmp => $cmp_sub, ignore_unique => 1, }); cmp By default, two files are regarded as different if their contents do not match (tested with File::Compare::compare). That default behaviour can be overridden by providing a 'cmp' subroutine to do the file comparison, returning zero if the two files are equal, and non-zero if not. E.g. to compare using modification times instead of file contents: File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { cmp => sub { -M $_[0] <=> -M $_[1] }, }); ignore_cmp If you want to see all corresponding files, not just 'different' ones, set the 'ignore_cmp' flag to tell File::DirCompare to skip its file comparison checks i.e. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { ignore_cmp => 1 }); ignore_unique If you want to ignore files that only exist in one of the two directories, set the 'ignore_unique' flag i.e. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { ignore_unique => 1 }); SEE ALSO
File::Dircmp, which provides similar functionality (and whose directory walking code I've adapted for this module), but a simpler reporting-only interface, something like the first example in the SYNOPSIS above. AUTHOR AND CREDITS
Gavin Carr <gavin@openfusion.com.au> Thanks to Robin Barker for a bug report and fix for glob problems with whitespace. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2006-2007 by Gavin Carr. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-03-02 DirCompare(3pm)