Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with removing characters like ^M Post 302106575 by sb008 on Friday 9th of February 2007 08:22:09 PM
Old 02-09-2007
For sure you removed uppercase M characters at the beginning of the line.

The reason why you failted to remove ^M is because you type it as 2 characters.

In the file however it is a single character.

You can remiove them e.g. in "vi".

Once inside "vi" you can create ^M as a single character by typing first CTRL-V and next CTRL-M.

Make sure you are in command mode (press ESC if necessary) and next you type:

:%s/^M//g

Make sure the ^M is a single character created as mentioned above.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing certain characters in a file

Hi I have a file that has semicolons in it (;) is there a way to just remove these in the file. Example name: Joe Smith; group: Group1; name: Mary White; group: Group2; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Removing ^D and ^H characters

Hi, I have a very huge file and it contains some unprintable characters like ^H and ^D. If I try to remove using cat test1.ser| tr -d '\136 110'>newfile1 it is only removing ^and all spaces in the file. How can I remove these characters (^D ^H) and keep my spaces as it is? Thanks &... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing characters

Hi all, Any help on how to do the following? :eek: I have an infile as follows: _thisishowyouwritehelloworld _thisisalsohowyouwritehelloworld2 I want to delete the characters from "_" to "how" and be left with: youwritehelloworld youwritehelloworld2 I am able to do delete from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_sabz
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing ^M characters

hi I have a perl script conv.pl. when i execute this file and direct i to log file I see lots of ^M characters in the log file. There is no ^M in conv.pl file. Log file is generated only after conv.pl is executed. Please help as how to get rid of these. This conv.pl is going to get schduled... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing ^M characters

hi I have a perl script conv.pl. when i execute this file and direct i to log file I see lots of ^M characters in the log file. There is no ^M in conv.pl file. Log file is generated only after conv.pl is executed. Please help as how to get rid of these. This conv.pl is going to get schduled... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters

Dear Friends, I want to remove text between two patters. Problem is, it has random special characters like \ / | * ` ~ ! $ etc. These random special characters has no fixed length. But these special characters are appearing between a fixed pattern e.g. DM&^%#|#!\/?CT Expected output... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing non printable characters

Hi, in a file, i have records as below: 123|62|absnb|267629 123|267|28728|uiuip 123|567|26761|2676 i want to remove the non printable characters after the end of each record. I guess there are certain charcters but not visible. i don't know what character that is exactly. I used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing characters

I have been given a shell script that I need to amend. To do the following extract the filename from the flag file by removing the .flag extension. # Local variables # Find if the flag files exists MASK=coda_mil2*.flag # Are there any files? bookmark="40" fileFound=0 ls -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andymay
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last and first characters in a file

bash-3.00$ cat temp.txt ./a/REA01/ces1/apps/ces_ces1_init3_aa.ear/ces.war/WEB-INF/classes/reds/common/environment.properties ./a/REA01/ces1/apps/ces_ces1_init3_aa.ear/commonproperties/hi/HostIntegration.properties... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing all characters up to initial '{'

Hi there, Im having a bit of difficulty with this one and I suspect its because of the character I want to match against maybe causing me a problem, but i wanted to remove everything up to (but not including) the first instance of '{' in a string so for example the string that I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies
trans(1int)															       trans(1int)

Name
       trans - translation tool for use with source message catalogs

Syntax
       trans [ -c ] [ -o name ] file.msf

Description
       The command assists in the translation of source message catalogs.  The command reads input from file.msf and writes its output to either a
       file named or a file you name on the command line.  The command displays file.msf in a multiple window screen that lets you  simultaneously
       see  the  original message, the translated text you enter, and any messages from the command.  This multiple window screen is easier to use
       for translating messages than a single window screen.

The top window in the multiple window screen displays the text in the message source file file.msf.  The editor displays the  current  mes-
       sage in reverse video.

In  the	center window, displays a prompt that asks you to enter a translated message.  You use a control key editor to move the cursor and
       delete text in the center window.  The control key sequences are defined as follows:

------------------------------------------
       Key Sequence   Meaning
       CTRL/k	      Display control key help
       CTRL/h	      Back space
       CTRL/l	      Forward space
       CTRL/w	      Back word
       CTRL/f	      Forward word
       CTRL/e	      Move to end of input
       CTRL/b	      Move to beginning of input
       CTRL/n	      Next line
       CTRL/p	      Previous line
       CTRL/u	      Delete input
       CTRL/i	      Insert mode (default)
       CTRL/r	      Replace mode
       DEL	      Delete previous character

If you need to span more than one line with the translated text, type a backslash () and press the RETURN key to enable line continuation.
       After you finish entering the translated text, press the RETURN key to signal that you have finished translating that message.

The  bottom  window  displays  any messages generated by If an error occurs, prompts you to re-enter the entire line, including the message
       label or number.

Options
       -c   Display comment lines beginning with a dollar sign ($) for translation, in addition to messages.

-o   Call the output file name.	The default is output file name is

Restrictions
       Your terminal must be 80 columns by 24 lines for to display its three-window screen.

You cannot interrupt a session and restart it at the point you stopped. You must complete the all the changes to a file	before	exiting  a
       file.

See Also
       intro(3int), extract(1int), gencat(1int), strextract(1int), strmerge(1int)
       Guide to Developing International Software

trans(1int)