Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Crontab Entry
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Crontab Entry Post 302106462 by sb008 on Thursday 8th of February 2007 05:53:58 PM
Old 02-08-2007
We might have some ideas if you show us the script.

But some options are:
- You say the script produces output, where is this output send? To a file or to the screen? If it is the screen the script will not work because there is no tty attached to t.
- A cron job runs by default with a very limited PATH environment variable. So if you don't define PATH inisde your script correctly, or use all commands with their full pah name, it could be that 1 or more commands cannot be located and therefore result in an error, which cause your script to terminate.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab entry

hi all how to schedule a cron job running on last day of every third month at 12 midnight will the following work 0 0 30,31 3,6,9,12 * <required file> thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab entry

Hello, I am trying to schedule a job to run every 15 minutes from 7am to 5:30pm. Could someone show me the syntax for this? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab entry

Sometimes cron really upsets me and I cant figure out these types of wierd dates, but how do I get cron to run something on every other sunday? I am running Solaris 8. -S (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sowser
4 Replies

4. AIX

crontab entry

Hi. I'm new to AIX and I need to create a crontab entry to run a script every first 5 business days of the month? please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
2 Replies

5. Solaris

crontab entry

How to set the crontab entry for every other Friday? Regards, Raj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajip23
1 Replies

6. Solaris

crontab entry

Hi, i need to setup a cronjob that has will execute iostat command from morning to evening time. for instance the timing has will be like this. 8:00 A.M -- 6:00P.M how to define this entry in crontab Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaweedak
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab entry

What should be the crontab entry for a script: to run at 3:00 AM EST Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

8. Solaris

crontab entry

hi i am new in solaris. i am accessing server through putty. i could not add entry in crontab. i have given "crontab -e" for add a new entry. It is not coming. what parameter i have to set for getting crontab -e thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab entry

Is this the correct entry to touch a file on 6/6 5AM? 00 05 06 06 * touch /support/home/.no_copy Please use next time code tags for your code and data (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Me XMan
5 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)