Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris DiskSuite 4.2.1 Database creation question Post 302106121 by BOFH on Tuesday 6th of February 2007 04:32:19 PM
Old 02-06-2007
I have to say, I don't think I'd ever do this. If one of the two disks bails, you've lost everything. I guess it depends on the purpose. For a news server (something I ran years and years ago), it woudn't be a big deal since it'd just rebuild itself and repopulate from the 'net. But each disk reduces the MTBF for the entire "disk". We had a bunch of very small disks and our MTBF was 6 months which came out just about right.

The metadb command creates a replica database and needs to be on its own slice. The link I provided was to a lab so make sure you read the entire thing before starting Smilie

Carl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solstice Disksuite Question

According to the metadb man page: Now based on italicized part, if a mirror only has a single replica and never crashes, it should still function. Same with booting. I thought three replicas were necessary for the system to be able to come up but the comment about crashing tells me that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
2 Replies

2. Programming

Question on creation of Thread pool

dear sir/madam presently i am in a process of creating a multithread pool using clone() system call in unix with c programming. i am facing some problem ie., i am able create multithread pool and able to keep all the threads in wait state,but when i call kill (afunction revoke a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radha
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about database in Unix

I want to write a command file in Unix that can access database. what unix command can access database. Actually, I installed software in SCO Unix, there is a database. but I want to access database without run this software in unix. How can I do? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wendyz
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in Shell scripting to modify the User Creation script in oracle database.

Hi, I have several users to create on my test Oracle database taking the scripts from the Production Oracle database. I have a separate text file where I have user-id and passwords maintained. I need help in writing a shell script to go thru the user creation scripts and replace VALUES... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rparavastu
1 Replies

5. SCO

Old SCO point of sale system database question

As a free lance computer consultant, I am working for a local store. They have an ancient point of sale (POS) system that has a server and several register machines, all running on a SCO unix. The system is at least 10 years old, maybe 15. The the POS vendor discontinued the product... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgt10
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Oracle Database 10g installation question

I wanted to ask how do i assign the control files and archive log to be stored in different volume? I didn't come through any selection for that during the GUI installation. :) Thanks in advance for any reply. p/s: I will appreciate it also if anyone can provide me a link for me to go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
1 Replies

7. Solaris

disksuite mirroring d0 to d2 and d1 to d3

I have a SOlaris 10 v240 server. I'm installing disksuite to mirror the root drive D0 to D2. I also have one partition on disk 1 that I want to mirror to D3. I am not using ZFS right now. Can I add that to my initial mirroring configuration or can I only mirror 1 drive to 1 drive? Can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Disksuite question

Hello all, I have a Solaris Disksuite question :- I will be adding 4 new drives to an E250 server and need will be configuring 2 striped volumes each consisting 2 new disks with SVM. In the end i will have 2 volumes each of 72gb. So in effect i will have 1 volume called D7 and another volume... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: commandline
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Volume Manger - Database Replicas Question - Benefits of Increasing Default Size?

Hey all! I was hoping someone knew anything about this one... I know with Solaris Volume Manager the default Database Replica size is 8192 blocks (4MB approximately) Now I know you can increase this amount but is there any point? The reason I am asking this is that I've setup mirroring on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about lvm file creation

Hi, I have below code for disk creation disk_list=$(ls /dev/sd) for disk in $disk_list do pvcreate $i done So what my understanding is first it is checking the disk under /dev sdb,sdc,sdd,...sdz whether 25 disk are existing if not then its creating the 25 physical volume. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
4 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)