Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Linux administration course outline Post 302105278 by tayyabq8 on Thursday 1st of February 2007 12:23:34 AM
Old 02-01-2007
Thank you all for your replies. Finally, I'm going to drop security and linux re-compilation concepts, and going mostly with what "pressy" has suggested, course outline looks like this now:

Quote:
- history, what is "unix/linux/GNU"
- filesystem structure (/etc, /var, /opt, ..)
- shell (command syntax, man, $PATH, profile)
- basic commands (cd, ls, more, cp, mv, find, grep, ...)
- init (runlevels, rc-scripts, daemons, cron)
- user management (add, passwd, shadow, groups)
- file permissions
- vi
- installation
- package management
- more shell (wildcards *?[]~, redirections ><>>|; variables)
- network, shares
- services, nfs, ftp, ntp, ...
- Linux Printing (CUPS)
- backup (tar, fsdump)
- Performance monitoring (sysstat suite) Thanks to Radar for mentioning it.
And a Debian variant for the platform, maybe Ubuntu or Gentoo as DCrystal suggested.

Regards,
Tayyab

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Administration

I have been working with UNIX (HP-UX) now for a couple of years. Have become quite capable in shell scripting and general UNIX use. The local university offers a certification course in UNIX administration which I am considering taking. However, the certification is geared toward UNIX in general... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Administration

I have an application that runs on Unix and the user administration is managed at a Unix level. The application has an application ID which is linked to the user ids which are created at Unix level. Can you please help if I can be able to track which user used the Application ID and what action was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kopano
0 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Patch Administration

Hi, I want to set upa centralised server for downloading patches from the internet and all my clients should use that central server to download patches and upgrade. Could someone please help me in doing this. Thanks, Trimu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove ":" and join lines in outline file

I have a vim outliner file like this: Title title 2 :Testing now :testing 2 :testing 3 title 3 :testing :ttt :ttg Is there a way to use a script or command to remove... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jostber
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative Scripting Language for UNIX/Linux System Administration

I do not know UNIX shell scripting so as an alternative which language would you think is better for daily System Administration tasks. Perl or PHP? I know a little about both. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackopus
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Centralizing Administration

Hi guys. I work in an environment that caters to 150 + Solaris servers. I was wondering whether there is an application/Software that can be used to centralize Administration. e.g. If a new member comes into the team , I am required to go onto every server and create his login. Is there a system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies
CTRLALTDEL(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     CTRLALTDEL(8)

NAME
ctrlaltdel - set the function of the Ctrl-Alt-Del combination SYNOPSIS
ctrlaltdel hard|soft DESCRIPTION
Based on examination of the linux/kernel/sys.c code, it is clear that there are two supported functions that the Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence can perform: a hard reset, which immediately reboots the computer without calling sync(2) and without any other preparation; and a soft reset, which sends the SIGINT (interrupt) signal to the init process (this is always the process with PID 1). If this option is used, the init(8) program must support this feature. Since there are now several init(8) programs in the Linux community, please consult the documentation for the version that you are currently using. ctrlaltdel is usually used in the /etc/rc.local file. FILES
/etc/rc.local SEE ALSO
simpleinit(8), init(8) AUTHOR
Peter Orbaek (poe@daimi.aau.dk) AVAILABILITY
The ctrlaltdel command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux 1.2 25 October 1993 CTRLALTDEL(8)