Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change RS in the middle
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change RS in the middle Post 302105168 by aigles on Wednesday 31st of January 2007 05:11:42 AM
Old 01-31-2007
Try something like that (not tested) :
Code:
gawk 'NR==FNR { key[$1]++;next } $1 in key' file1 RS="?" file2

Jean-Pierre.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selecting the middle date!

Hi everyone really need some help with this one. Ive to write a script where the middle date has to be checked and made sure that it is the current date. 281220032812200328122003 This is the format ive to check the date in the middle is the current date. Can anyone help me with this... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vcardo10
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to 'sed' the middle line?

Hi, If I have 90 lines and I want to print the 45th line, is there a quick sed command for this? thx. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_jumpin
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process from middle of a file?

Hi There. I have a file like this . a nnnn sds b ssss fdefd c sdfd dsfd sdfds ... ... Summary t1 t2 t3 t4 s1 s2 s3 s4 f1 f2 f3 f4 .. How to use awk to begin process this file from the line that contains "Summary"? Thanks! louis (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: javacore
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

add text in the middle of file

Can anyone help me pls? I want to add a text into the middle of file. I've writtenthe following script text to add="$1" file="$2" lines=$(wc -l $2) half_lines=$(expr $lines / 2) head -$half_lines $2 > temp echo "text to add" >> temp ((half_lines=$half_lines + 1)) tail -$half_lines $2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: relle
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a word in the middle

I have a file where in I need to add gctunit1/gtdivcompebb1/ after the = sign for example: gtfix31/gctunit_gtdivcompebb1/csclkswcompbypassstepgnnnh = gctunit1/gtdivcompebb1/csclkswcompbypassstepgnnnh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing only the middle word between two patterns

How would I print the word "and" between the words "FOO" and BAR" using sed? My file has three words in it FOO and BAR. I only want the word "and". Thanks every one. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigta09
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read from middle of a file for a particular text

Hi, Below is my issue which I desperately need and I want a shell script which can do this job. 1. There are 10 log files in a particular location. 2. open each log file. Goto to the end of the file. From the end go up to find a particular text. From this particular text till the end of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashriram
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to separate First,Middle and Last Name from Full name

How to separate First,Middle and Last Name from Full Name? For Example: I/O :- 1) Ashok Kumar Requied Output: First Name:Ashok Middle Name: Last Name:Kumar I/O :- 2) Ashok K Kumar Requied Output: First Name:Ashok Middle Name:K Last Name:Kumar I/O :- 3) Ashok K R Kumar Requied Output:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AhmedLakadkutta
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new column in the middle

Hi , I need to add few new columns in existing file .Any help would be great ex: existing file name,typ,add,dept New file(com1,sal are new) name,com1,type,sal,add,dept Thanks, mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - print differences between two files SYNOPSIS
diff [-c | -e | -C n] [-br]file1 file2 OPTIONS
-C n Produce output that contains n lines of context -b Ignore white space when comparing -c Produce output that contains three lines of context -e Produce an ed-script to convert file1 into file2 -r Apply diff recursively to files and directories of EXAMPLES
diff file1 file2 # Print differences between 2 files diff -C 0 file1 file2 # Same as above diff -C 3 file1 file2 # Output three lines of context with every diff -c file1 file2 # Same diff /etc /dev # Compares recursively the directories /etc and /dev diff passwd /etc # Compares ./passwd to /etc/passwd DESCRIPTION
the same name, when file1 and file2 are both directories" difference encountered" Diff compares two files and generates a list of lines telling how the two files differ. Lines may not be longer than 128 characters. If the two arguments on the command line are both directories, diff recursively steps through all subdirectories comparing files of the same name. If a file name is found only in one directory, a diagnostic message is written to stdout. A file that is of either block special, character special or FIFO special type, cannot be compared to any other file. On the other hand, if there is one directory and one file given on the command line, diff tries to compare the file with the same name as file in the directory directory. SEE ALSO
cdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), patch(1). DIFF(1)