Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formatting the lines
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Formatting the lines Post 302104911 by dreams5617 on Monday 29th of January 2007 01:36:12 PM
Old 01-29-2007
Error Formatting the lines

I have a file with the below lines

174 lines all numbers like above. I want the above file to appear as below.

All the numbers should be separated by comma.

Pls tell me how to do this ....

Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting

Hi Again Guys , Please i installed linux RH 6.1 on Toshiba , 10G , RAM=128 , 600 MHZ . After i installed linux i got many error messages , seems it was not installed correctly , also when i finished installation it did not ask me for the 2nd installation CD , and when i logged as root , i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating lines and formatting.

Hi, I have a html file which is unformatted and need to concatenate the lines between each "table" statement in order to run an awk statement on it. Here is the example of the raw file: <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="playerDetails"> def ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tonka52
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting lines in shell script

I have a file with the below lines 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 ... 174 lines all numbers like above. I want the above file to appear as below. 1521,1522,1523,1524..... All the numbers should be separated by comma. Pls tell me how to do this .... Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count lines - ignoring blank lines and commented lines

What is the command to count lines in a files, but ignore blank lines and commented lines? I have a file with 4 sections in it, and I want each section to be counted, not including the blank lines and comments... and then totalled at the end. Here is an example of what I would like my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting lines in a particular fashion

i have some 100 of lines from a script o/p into a file called naveed.txt below some of the lines: 1-GH32X, CC, AMR, Number of Intervals Not Inserted: 1 / 95 1-150KP1, CC, AMR, Number of Intervals Not Inserted: 1 / 96 1-VWEMR, CC, AMR, Number of Intervals Not Inserted: 1 / 98 1-15HM1A, CC,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select only certain lines from file and mantain formatting

I want to take the below data, and have it output to file only the STMC#/(IP address) and the "there are X number of updates to install" lines for each machine. I know it's easy, but Im a beginner in BASH stuff, my solution would probably take way too many lines to do something easy.Thanks! ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help formatting

I need to format a txt file and convert it in CSV. Any "future" column is separated by a newline. FROM: XS1 1.43294 0.0 XS2 1.21824 0.0 TO: XS1,XS2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfreale
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Text formatting - joining lines

I have large file with data as below, in unix using sed or some cammand how to get output as below. cat 1.txt Normal data 1|AA|NN 4|BB|NNN C|DDD|N //Additional details 9C|12C|8N Specific Details 12N|JIN|KK\NY1\ 345\ABC1\KKK 90|ENO0|NDO 17|NO921|NCOKL output shoud be as below ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tecnical_help12
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies
NL(1)                                                              User Commands                                                             NL(1)

NAME
nl - number lines of files SYNOPSIS
nl [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write each FILE to standard output, with line numbers added. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --body-numbering=STYLE use STYLE for numbering body lines -d, --section-delimiter=CC use CC for logical page delimiters -f, --footer-numbering=STYLE use STYLE for numbering footer lines -h, --header-numbering=STYLE use STYLE for numbering header lines -i, --line-increment=NUMBER line number increment at each line -l, --join-blank-lines=NUMBER group of NUMBER empty lines counted as one -n, --number-format=FORMAT insert line numbers according to FORMAT -p, --no-renumber do not reset line numbers for each section -s, --number-separator=STRING add STRING after (possible) line number -v, --starting-line-number=NUMBER first line number for each section -w, --number-width=NUMBER use NUMBER columns for line numbers --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit By default, selects -v1 -i1 -l1 -sTAB -w6 -nrn -hn -bt -fn. CC are two delimiter characters used to construct logical page delimiters, a missing second character implies :. Type \ for . STYLE is one of: a number all lines t number only nonempty lines n number no lines pBRE number only lines that contain a match for the basic regular expression, BRE FORMAT is one of: ln left justified, no leading zeros rn right justified, no leading zeros rz right justified, leading zeros AUTHOR
Written by Scott Bartram and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nl translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/nl> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) nl invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 NL(1)