Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers redirect stderr and/or stdout to /dev/null from command line Post 302104498 by Corona688 on Thursday 25th of January 2007 11:24:46 AM
Old 01-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc9233
Is it possible to redirect errors at the command line when you run the script such as bash scriptname & 2>/dev/null?
Try moving the & to after the redirect. Beyond that you seem to have the right idea.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.

Working in a bash environment, in the following example, how do I direct the error message that putting in an invalid flag (-j for example) would normally produce to dev/null? while getopts "abcd" opt do case "$opt" in i) a etc ;; r) b etc ;; f) c etc ;; v) d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the import log to /dev/null?

Hi i am running oracle database import through a script and script scans the import log to see if there are any errors. Now the porblem is that when i run the script the import log appears on the screen even if i direct the output of import to /dev/null. imp "'/ as sysdba'"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoo128
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr to a file globally

Hi I am not if this is possible: is it possible in bach (or another shell) to redirect GLOBALLY the stdout/stderr channels to a file. So, if I have a script script.sh cmd1 cmd2 cmd3 I want all stdout/stderr goes to a file. I know I can do: ./script.sh 1>file 2>&1 OR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redirect STDOUT and STDERR of chsh

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Forgot to put backslashes in my perl script to not process literals! Hi everyone. I am trying to have this command pass silently. (no output) chsh -s /bin/sh news Currently it outputs. I've tried.... &> /dev/null 1> /dev/null 2>&1 /dev/null 1>&2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Stdout stderr to /dev/null

Sorry for my ignorance... but... I've a script with some output redirect to /dev/null, example: fsck.ext3 -a /dev/sdb1 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null How can I simplify this redirect ? (1 & 2) thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ionral
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
DAEMON(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 DAEMON(3)

NAME
daemon -- run in the background LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int daemon(int nochdir, int noclose); DESCRIPTION
The daemon() function is for programs wishing to detach themselves from the controlling terminal and run in the background as system daemons. Unless the argument nochdir is non-zero, daemon() changes the current working directory to the root (/). Unless the argument noclose is non-zero, daemon() will redirect standard input, standard output, and standard error to /dev/null. RETURN VALUES
The daemon() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The daemon() function may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library functions fork(2) and setsid(2). SEE ALSO
fork(2), setsid(2), sigaction(2) HISTORY
The daemon() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. CAVEATS
Unless the noclose argument is non-zero, daemon() will close the first three file descriptors and redirect them to /dev/null. Normally, these correspond to standard input, standard output, and standard error. However, if any of those file descriptors refer to something else, they will still be closed, resulting in incorrect behavior of the calling program. This can happen if any of standard input, standard out- put, or standard error have been closed before the program was run. Programs using daemon() should therefore either call daemon() before opening any files or sockets, or verify that any file descriptors obtained have values greater than 2. The daemon() function temporarily ignores SIGHUP while calling setsid(2) to prevent a parent session group leader's calls to fork(2) and then _exit(2) from prematurely terminating the child process. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD