Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Reboot of Unix servers - recommended? Post 302104496 by Perderabo on Thursday 25th of January 2007 11:01:23 AM
Old 01-25-2007
My policy, and this is one man's opinion, is that a Unix box should be rebooted every 4 months or better. Too many times I have seen a Unix box up for 8 or 9 months that would not reboot cleanly because of a hardware problem or a startup script problem. The scheduled reboot exposes this stuff. Also, at my last job, we had a critical Sun system that had been up over a year, with /.reconfigure present. The admin who put it there apparently had left the company and the rest of us did not know what to expect. (the answer: path-to_inst file was corrupt...) When a lightning storm took out our UPS, we got to discover stuff like this for 600 servers.

Another issue is that patches usually require reboots and a box that is setting records for continuous uptime is pretty much guaranteed to be missing some patches. Still another is that complex clusters sometimes require special boot sequences and these can change as services are added to a cluster. Cross dependencies between clusters can further complicate this.

On the other hand, daily or weekly rebooting is silly. I could tolerate once a month but I would try to push for 60 days. So my range is roughly 60 - 120 days and I'm willing to accept 30 - 60. (But I did not make the policy and we kept the boxes up until we were forced to reboot.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reboot the Unix work station

Hi I'd like to know if to reboot a work station I need the root permission. If not what is the procedure ( commands or steps ) to reboot a work station. Cheers Mohsen (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohsen
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any recommended book on Unix & Shell Programming

Any recommended book on Unix & Shell Programming (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix recommended reading

Hello I was wondering if anyone had a Unix book recommendation. Just one book, that can give me a good foundation in Unix and has plenty of hands on exercises to follow along with on my Unix terminal? Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vedder191
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

best or recommended unix os for new user

hello, I want to learn more on unix, and being use to windows (VERY SAD i know) i want to learn more, but which unix is recommended for a new user to become novice to advance? also what is a great website to look into to gain more knowledge of unix, i have the commands pretty good in my head,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siten0308
0 Replies

5. AIX

"Out of Memory" after reboot for only Tuxedo DB servers on AIX 5.3

Hello all, I am working on an AIX 5.3L machine. I am currently trying to work on getting all of my Tuxedo servers booted for my app. However, some of these servers also use the Oracle 10g R2 client to connect to the 10g2 DB. AT FIRST, everything was working fine. Anyway, one night all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swvahokie
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shutdown and reboot unix server

Hi, please could someone advise the best command to shutdown and then for it to reboot back online again. Note: I shall be doing this from a telent session. regards venhart (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
3 Replies

7. Solaris

how to Implicitly execute some unix commands during/after Solaris reboot

I have to execute 2 commands everytime i reboot my Solaris machine. Simple "share" and "chown" commands. Is there anywhere (maybe a config file or something) where I can include these commands so that I do not have to manually run them everytime I reboot the machine? Any help appreciated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lydiaEd
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop monitoring of servers at the time of reboot through shell scripting?

We have number of servers which belongs to platforms Solaris, AIX,HP-UX and LINUX. Monitoring tool 'Patrol Agent' process run on the servers to check for the server health and communicate with the Patrol server through the port 5181. During scheduled reboot and maintenance of servers we do receive... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subharai
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recommended book to learn about unix administration?

My knowledge is weak in understanding NIS servers, setting up user accounts, mounting network file systems, clearing stale NFS handles, those sorts of things that I encounter but my IT server team handles. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject? Something to demystify mount points,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srhadden
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Unexpected error on reboot in UNIX

Hi all, My remote unix machine failed unexpectly, and I am unable to login to it. Here is what I can see on the screen - > Boot device: .... File and args: -i > Boot load failed. > The file just loaded does not appear to be executable. > {1} ok How can I fix this problem? Has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhakti.gandhi
1 Replies
vparconfig(1M)															    vparconfig(1M)

NAME
vparconfig - specify the partition mode policy, partition CLM policy, and partition ILM policy for the next system boot SYNOPSIS
[mode]] memtype size DESCRIPTION
The command sets the EFI variable that determines the partition mode on Itanium-based systems and then automatically reboots the system. The partition mode policy can be vPars or nPars. In addition, the command sets the partition ILM policy EFI variable (for InterLeaved Memory) and the partition CLM policy EFI variable (for Cell Local Memory). However, the reboot does not happen automatically. The partition ILM policy or partition CLM policy change will only occur when you reboot the system using the command. The default behavior of the command specified without any options is to display the current settings of the partition mode policy, the par- tition ILM policy, and the partition CLM policy. This command is only available at the EFI shell if the vPars depot has been installed on the disk. This command is not supported on PA-RISC platforms. Options and Arguments recognizes the following command line options and arguments: Specifies the partition mode for the next system boot and then automatically reboots the system. The valid values for mode are case-insen- sitive and The system reboots in the following ways: o If mode is then after reboot, the system will be in vPars mode. vPars mode allows you to boot the vPars Monitor and virtual partitions in the next nPartition boot. o If mode is then after reboot, the system will be in nPars mode. In nPars mode you cannot boot the vPars Monitor or virtual partitions. However, you can boot HP-UX as a standalone operating system. o If is specified with no arguments, then the system reboots with the existing mode. memtype size Specifies the desired granularity of Cell Local Memory (CLM) or InterLeaved Memory (ILM) to be set in the appropriate EFI variable for the next reboot. memtype is either or size specifies the desired granularity in megabytes corresponding to memtype. Only a decimal value is allowed to specify the gran- ule size. Displays command line options and arguments. EXAMPLES
Reboot the system to mode. Reboot the system to mode. Set the ILM granularity to 128 MB. Set the CLM granularity to 128 MB. AUTHOR
was developed by the Hewlett-Packard Company. SEE ALSO
vparenv(1M). Itanium(R)-Based Systems Only vparconfig(1M)