Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Performance inquiry...guestimate better approach Post 302103937 by DreamWarrior on Monday 22nd of January 2007 11:57:45 AM
Old 01-22-2007
Perderabo,

I am in the API, but since I'm just writing an API I am subservent to what the application does, and I can't assume it won't make interspersed malloc calls that, due to my frequent calls to malloc, may end up fragmenting. Either way, I'm no longer going to worry about it...if it becomes a problem then I'll fix it then.

Jim,

I am on AIX, and I'm sure you're both correct that the malloc is OK. I was just being overly cautious because I've heard several times not to frequently call malloc and free in applications. However, since the potential overhead and/or extra code to get around it for this particular application is unwieldy, I'll just see what happens and if it doesn't perform or I see issues then I'll fix it then.

Thanks everyone! At least you soothed my concerns that doing frequent malloc and frees may not be as bad as I once thought.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uniX iNQUIry from a newbie

hi, i would like to study unix but i don't have the software for me to test the scripts that i read from the book and from the internet. I would like to ask anyones help to please tell me link wer i can download for free the unix system. I would be glad to receive your replies. thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: youdexter
2 Replies

2. Web Development

Suggested tool / approach for performance testing

What is a good approach for a performance testing tool suite for web applications? I am specifically interested in tools that execute a certain set of tasks well as opposed to tuning high traffic sites. In other words, a profiler would be a good idea to have, although I understand these tools are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Firewall / Network isolation inquiry

Good morning folks, A good friend of mine has a network where every host has two paths to the file servers (two NICs & two networks for all hosts). Normally speaking, one network will be used for regular application traffic - license servers, itunes library, collaboration tools - while the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: avronius
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Offline Agents Inquiry.

Hello, I currently use Solaris, and typically I use the svcs -a | grep PROCESS to see if it's online or Offline. My questions is SVCS is in solaris but if I want to find out if a daemon or process is offline what other methods can I use? ps -ef | grep PROCESS "what do I look for" or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inquiry on Grabbing info from file.

Here is another script I am trying to customize currently, this script is used to send me disk space information, but at the moment I have to enter all the servers in manually SERVER= "xxx bbb ccc" ect.. how can I script it so that the servers are called off a txt file versus me entering all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Inquiry

Hi Everyone! I'm new with UNIX,so, sorry if this question seems really dumb.:( Anyway, I'd just like if it's possible to automatically inform someone (via mail or pop-up box or something) that a file has been recently uploaded/received to the UNIX box? If it is, any advice on how to get that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam04
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Inquiry for Automatic Sending

Hi Everyone! I'm new with UNIX,so, sorry if this question seems really dumb.:( Anyway, I'd just like if it's possible to automatically inform someone (via mail or pop-up box or something) that a file has been recently uploaded/received to the UNIX box? If it is, any advice on how to get that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jam04
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX inquiry for 'awk'

Hello Everyone, May I ask for your help regarding one of the UNIX command “awk”. So I executed a script and the output looks like this (see below): output.txt CONTRACTNAME ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven_huskie
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun Server and Solaris 7 Inquiry

Greetings! Will be firing up the good ole pizza box, soon. Does anyone know if Solaris 7 is still okay to use? Last time I attempted was 2006. Thank you in advance, ControlTomato (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ControlTomato
6 Replies
getpagesize(3C) 					   Standard C Library Functions 					   getpagesize(3C)

NAME
getpagesize - get system page size SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int getpagesize(void); DESCRIPTION
The getpagesize() function returns the number of bytes in a page. Page granularity is the granularity of many of the memory management calls. The page size is a system page size and need not be the same as the underlying hardware page size. The getpagesize() function is equivalent to sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE) and sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE). See sysconf(3C). RETURN VALUES
The getpagesize() function returns the current page size. ERRORS
No errors are defined. USAGE
The value returned by getpagesize() need not be the minimum value that malloc(3C) can allocate. Moreover, the application cannot assume that an object of this size can be allocated with malloc(). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pagesize(1), brk(2), getrlimit(2), mmap(2), mprotect(2), munmap(2), malloc(3C), msync(3C), sysconf(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Jun 2000 getpagesize(3C)