Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to compress & delete files in ksh Post 302103920 by vkumar on Monday 22nd of January 2007 10:19:36 AM
Old 01-22-2007
about file system getting full

Please suggest me what to do? I have to compress the log file and move it and then later delete it. Never worked on it please suggest the best way to do it. I have to run this job on corntab.

Some one wrote this for me please explain How this exactly works? Any help is appreciated.

#!/bin/ksh
DATE=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M`
FILES=`find /soa/p2/syst/var/log -name XMLTTrace.log`
for logfile in $FILES
do
newlogfile=$logfile.$DATE
CMD="cp $logfile $newlogfile"
$CMD
cat /dev/null > $logfile
rotated_logs="$rotated_logs $newlogfile"
done
for newlogfile in $rotated_logs
do
echo $newlogfile
echo "look in /soa/p2/syst/var/log/XMLTLogs for backed up log files"
echo "files gzipped. files deleted after one week"
/usr/bin/gzip -9 $newlogfile
mv ${newlogfile}.gz /soa/p2/syst/var/log/XMLTLogs
find /soa/p2/syst/var/log/XMLTLogs -mtime +7 | xargs rm
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

compress & cpio commands

Our End of Day backup routine uses following script. start End-of-day compress $BASE TO /home/compdir write /home/compdir to DATTAPE end where $BASE=/home2/Rev83 DATATAPE=/dev/rmt/ctape1 write=cpio (not sure about parameters) since I'm new to UNIX, i dont know how to restore data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script delete log files from folder & subfolders on space usage

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script to delete logs generate by db when space in the folder reaches 70%. i am getting space values from db, find the files at OS and remove them by using a cron job runs every 5minutes. I have to keep the latest 5 files at any time, my problem is that log files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saha
3 Replies

3. Web Development

Compress then Delete

Hi all, Someone please help with a script that will compress a directory for backed up: home/main/directory2Bcompressed/ home/main/directory2Bcompressed_date.zip Then all the files in the directory are to be deleted right afterwards, emptied out for new files to come in: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrDude
6 Replies

4. Red Hat

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & DELETE ZIPS older than 12 months

ENVIROMENT Linux: Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) iPlanet: iPlanet-WebServer-Enterprise/6.0SP1 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs I have iPlanet log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zachs
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Get files & delete them by shell script

I want to use my script to get any file then delete it once it transfers to my side , I manage to create below script to generate "list" file which contains all file names in "10.10.1.1" then I made "a.out" file which contains the commands that I want to run it on "10.10.1.1" to get & delete the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress and delete folders

Hello, can someone help me to create a short script that tar.gz all folders form a specific folder and the delete the folders themself (without deleting the tar.gz created files)? Moreover I'd like to add it on crontab and run it each day. For example: in /tmp I have: /tmp/test/test1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mab80
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP Shell Script Get & Delete && Upload & Delete

Hi All, Do you have any sample script, - auto get file from SFTP remote server and delete file in remove server after downloaded. - only download specify filename - auto upload file from local to SFTP remote server and delete local folder file after uploaded - only upload specify filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weesiong
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compress and delete the older logs

Hello Guys, Can you please help me with a script which zips the older log files(1-2 weeks) and delete them? I want to run the script manually instead of setting it up in a cron job. Appreciate your help. Regards, Kris (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriss.gv
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files of a particular name & extension except one file.

I wish to delete all files that starts with "body<any number of digits>.xml" except body65.xml on Linux 7 bash shell So, from the below files body64.xml body.sh body65.xml body655.xml body565.xml body66.xml hello65.xml My command should delete all files except the below. body.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 LOGSAVE(8)