Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Delete Portion of a file
Top Forums Programming Delete Portion of a file Post 302103624 by sameersbn on Friday 19th of January 2007 04:08:26 PM
Old 01-19-2007
Delete Portion of a file

hi i would like to know whether i can delete a part of a file in C
for eg. if my file contained
and i want to delete
so that it becomes

is there a way i can do this.

well, one way i can achieve this is by creating a new file, copy whatever i want, then delete the old file and rename the new file with the name of the old file.
but i was wondering whether it can be done in directly, i.e. without doing any copies.

plz help
regards
Edit/Delete Message

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove portion of file

Can anyone tell me how to remove a portion of a large file to smaller ones? What I have is a large file that was created becasue several similar files were joined together. Each individual file starts with MSG_HEAD. I want to take everything from MSG_HEAD up to were it says MSG_HEAD again and... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: methos
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a portion of a line using shell scripting

Hi all, I am new to awk programs.I have a file like this 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: asgdfdasdfhhfd-asdfasd-dsfasdf |0.678|0.0|0.213 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: ashhfd-asdfasd-dsfasdf |0.129|0.0|0.411 1234567@2345||adcbdefhij: asd-aasd-dasdf |0.223|0.0|0.276 I want to delete the text which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loy81
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print a portion of file

Hi, I have a little problem. I am having a file with pattern like : asdf;ffgg;dfjfj;djdfjf;nnjj;djd;ssj; I just want to print the portion from last ";" upto the immediate previous ";". There are several ";" in my line. Please help me out... Thnx in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep certain portion from the file

Dear Friends, Here I am with another difficulty. I have a flat file from which I wanna grep following pattern. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Statement Date : Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Portion of a file in a new files

Hi, I need to devide one file into 3 files based on column numbers and put a string (FILE1, FILE2, FILE3) in the last..... Input file: Column1,Column2,Column3,Column4,Column5,Column6,Column7,Column8,Column9,Column10 Output1: Column1,Column3,Column6,Column4,Column5,FILE1 Output2:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yale_work
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File ordering by portion of filename

Hi, Lets say I have a few xml files: 1234567894.xml abc_1234567895.xml abc_000_1234567890.xml abc_0000000_1234567893.xml 684_abc_000_1234567899.xml The naming convention of the files is: xxxxx_timestamp.xml OR timestamp.xml where x can be anything and I would like to order them by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leion
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove the date portion from file name

hi, I am trying to remove the last field before the period (.) from a list of file names in a directory in a shell script. Below is the list of file names. ENVID_archival_20120214092258.log ENVID_Get_Source_Files_20120214091828.log ENVID_Get_Source_Files_20120214092523.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing portion of file name

Hi , I am getting file name like ABC_DATA_CUSTIOMERS_20120617.dat ABC_DATA_PRODUCTS_20120617.dat Need to convert CUSTIOMERS.dat PRODUCTS.dat Help me how to do this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reach_malu
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Scripting : Sort a Portion of a File and not the complete file

Need to sort a portion of a file in a Alphabetical Order. Example : The user adam is not sorted and the user should get sorted. I don't want the complete file to get sorted. Currently All_users.txt contains the following lines. ############## # ARS USERS ############## mike, Mike... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evrurs
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to append portion of a file content to another file when a certain pattern is matching?

Hi ladies and gentleman.. I have two text file with me. I need to replace one of the file content to another file if one both files have a matching pattern. Example: text1.txt: ABCD 1234567,HELLO_WORLDA,HELLO_WORLDB DCBA 3456789,HELLO_WORLDE,HELLO_WORLDF text2.txt: XXXX,ABCD... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: bananamen
25 Replies
Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Under(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Under(3pm)

NAME
Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Under - rules under a predicate SYNOPSIS
my $ticket = Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Tokens->new( tokens => [ 'ticket' ], prefix => 1, ); my $create = Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Tokens->new( tokens => [ 'create' ], block => sub { create_ticket() }, ); my $delete = Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Tokens->new( tokens => [ 'delete', qr/^d+$/ ], block => sub { delete_ticket(shift->pos(2)) }, ); my $rule = Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Under->new( predicate => $ticket, rules => [ $create, $delete ], ); $rule->match("ticket create"); $rule->match("ticket delete 3"); DESCRIPTION
Rules of this class have two-phase matching: if the predicate is matched, then the contained rules are matched. The benefit of this is less repetition of the predicate, both in terms of code and in matching it. ATTRIBUTES
predicate A rule (which must match prefixes) whose match determines whether the contained rules are considered. The leftover path of the predicate is used as the path for the contained rules. rules A list of rules that will be try to be matched only if the predicate is matched. perl v5.12.4 2011-08-30 Path::Dispatcher::Rule::Under(3pm)