Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parse Unix Mail
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parse Unix Mail Post 302103373 by its-ashish on Thursday 18th of January 2007 03:48:46 AM
Old 01-18-2007
Thanks for the modified script.

I am using Unix Korn shell on OS 5.8.

I am not sure if I have explained clearly.

Assuming there are 3 mails, and I use 'echo s $i file.$i >> forstdin', I get 6 files instead of 3. The files created are file.1,file.2,file.3,1,2,3. However when I use 'echo s file.$i >> forstdin', 3 files are created - file.1, file.2 and file.3, which seems okay.

The user command 's' save the mail into a file and deletes the mail, which is fine. However, as I had mentioned below the mails are not deleted when the number of files mentioned in 'fortsdin' is less than the number of mails.
I guess this has to do with the way unix works.

Thanks,
Ashish
This User Gave Thanks to its-ashish For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can not send mail from unix server to company/yahoo mail

hi, Gurus, I need some help with sending mail out from my UNIX server: It is running Solaris 2.6 and the sendmail version is 8.8. Output of :/usr/lib/sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null Version 8.8.8+Sun Compiled with: LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: b5fnpct
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am not able to send mail form unix to other mail accounts.

Using Mailx command i.e mailx -s "subject" chinni@hotmail.com < \tmp\chin this command executed sucessfully but not able to receive the mail in chinni@hotmail.com please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinnigd
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script to parse a CSV

I am writing a unix script that will parse a CSV and edit the values. My CSV looks like this 0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0 10,11,7,0,4,12,2,3,7,0,11,3,12,4,0,5,5,4,5,0,8,6,12,0,9,3,3,0,2,7,8... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ17
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail attachment with unix mail

Hi Could someone help me with the details on how to send an attachment through mail in unix. I have an html file in my unix machine and I want this to be send to some mail id, plese help with the steps. Regards Ajay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarboyana
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix mail to personal mail, Strange behavour

Hi. I am running a script on solaris 10 and mailing it to my personal email. the script is ran as user xxx, And i have edited the crontab for user xxx to run the script and mail it to my email account. /network_check.sh | /usr/bin/mailx -s "Network Test" k454@hotmail.com the sript... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k00061804
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to parse this file in unix

Hi all, I need to parse a file which is having this format: Details: 1 Name{ first=james second=steven } Sibling{ first=2 second=3 } Age{ first=13 second=14 } Friend{ jessy } Details: 2 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parse /var/mail

Hi all... We have a box that receives a lot of incoming emails. I have a .procmailrc file that in turn invokes a python script, which process each of these incoming email. All is nice and good. However, before the .procmailrc and python script were in place, we still were receiving emails and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khader69
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to relay mail to mail server from Unix ?

Hi, I need to send email notifications from Unix/Linux box to users using mailx. In these Unix/Linux boxes mail is not configured however we are having mail server configured in our LAN. Could you please provide instructions to configure relay in these boxes so that we can relay our mails... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sourabhsharma
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i parse my Unix log files??

Hello, i would like to parse Unix log files and i would like to use a Unix syslog analyzer. I'm going to use Eucalyptus and i would like to parse its log files. Is there any open source/free syslog parser?? Thanks, in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_p
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I send a mail from my outlook or other mail accounts to UNIX server?

Hi all, I want to send a mail for my business needs from outlook account to an unix server (HP-UX) but I don't send any mail. While I can send from the unix server to my outlook account, I can't send from outlook to unix. How can I achieve this ? How can I send a mail from my outlook or other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igelegin
2 Replies
undbx(1)							       undbx								  undbx(1)

NAME
undbx - a tool to extract e-mails from Outlook Express .dbx files. SYNOPSIS
undbx [options]<DBX-DIRECTORY|DBX-FILE>[<OUTPUT-DIRECTORY>] DESCRIPTION
undbx is a tool to extract, recover and undelete e-mails messages from Outlook Express .dbx files. Email are extracted in individual .eml files. When a target directory is specified, undbx will extract e-mails from dbx files found in this directory. Instead of providing a target directory, the usr can provide a target dbx file. When no output directory is specified, undbx will extract emails in a subdirectory of the current directory. In normal mode (not recovery), a message is extracted only if there is no corresponding .eml file in the destination directory. On the other hand, if a .eml file exists in the destination directory and no corresponding mail is found in the .dbx file, the mail is con- sidered deleted and undbx will delete this .eml file. This way, undbx can be used as an synchronization backup tool for .dbx files. The file names of .eml files are composed by the From, To and Subjec: header fields. The modification time of each file is set to match the date specified in the Date field of the mail header. OPTIONS
--help Provides a short help message. --recover undbx attempt to recover e-mail messages from a corrupted .dbx file. In this mode fragments of messages are collected into .eml files. This may take a long time and some messages maybe corrupted. Also, all messages are extracted, not only the new ones. --version Shows the version string SEE ALSO
pffinfo(1) pffexport(1) munpack(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christophe Monniez <christophe.monniez@fccu.be> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. February 23, 2011 undbx(1)