Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parse Unix Mail
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parse Unix Mail Post 302103246 by its-ashish on Wednesday 17th of January 2007 07:25:18 AM
Old 01-17-2007
Many Thanks for the response Andryk.

A few questions ...
I had worked with a sample of 3 mails.

1) I am not sure is `seq150` works in Unix. So I had used
for i in 1 2 3 instead of for i `seq 3`in the 1st line of your script.
2) In your script, in line no - 3,
echo s $i file.$i >> forpipe, I am not sure why was $i also echoed. For e.g. if there are 3 mails, then the file "forpipe" would look
s 1 file.1
s 2 file.2
s 3 file.3

Now when I had run your script, I got the following files created - file.1, fil2.2,file.3,1,2,3.

When I removed $1 from the script (line no 3), I got 3 files - file.1,file.2 and file.3.

3) The script runs fine if the number of mails = contents in the file forpipe.
for e.g.
the contents in the file file - forpipe is
s file.1
s file.2
s file.3
x

The number of mails = 3.

However when the number of mails = 4, and there are 3 files listed in forpilpe, the files are still created, but the mail 1-3 are not deleted. Am not sure why. Smilie

In my case, the mails can come any time, and a new mail could have come after the creation of forpipe, while the mails are being processed. I cannot process the email again, because each email is expected to be unique.

Is there a way out ?

Apologies for being so lengthly ... I hope I am making sense.

Many Thanks.

Last edited by its-ashish; 01-17-2007 at 08:37 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can not send mail from unix server to company/yahoo mail

hi, Gurus, I need some help with sending mail out from my UNIX server: It is running Solaris 2.6 and the sendmail version is 8.8. Output of :/usr/lib/sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null Version 8.8.8+Sun Compiled with: LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: b5fnpct
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am not able to send mail form unix to other mail accounts.

Using Mailx command i.e mailx -s "subject" chinni@hotmail.com < \tmp\chin this command executed sucessfully but not able to receive the mail in chinni@hotmail.com please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinnigd
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script to parse a CSV

I am writing a unix script that will parse a CSV and edit the values. My CSV looks like this 0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0 10,11,7,0,4,12,2,3,7,0,11,3,12,4,0,5,5,4,5,0,8,6,12,0,9,3,3,0,2,7,8... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ17
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail attachment with unix mail

Hi Could someone help me with the details on how to send an attachment through mail in unix. I have an html file in my unix machine and I want this to be send to some mail id, plese help with the steps. Regards Ajay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarboyana
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix mail to personal mail, Strange behavour

Hi. I am running a script on solaris 10 and mailing it to my personal email. the script is ran as user xxx, And i have edited the crontab for user xxx to run the script and mail it to my email account. /network_check.sh | /usr/bin/mailx -s "Network Test" k454@hotmail.com the sript... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k00061804
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to parse this file in unix

Hi all, I need to parse a file which is having this format: Details: 1 Name{ first=james second=steven } Sibling{ first=2 second=3 } Age{ first=13 second=14 } Friend{ jessy } Details: 2 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parse /var/mail

Hi all... We have a box that receives a lot of incoming emails. I have a .procmailrc file that in turn invokes a python script, which process each of these incoming email. All is nice and good. However, before the .procmailrc and python script were in place, we still were receiving emails and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khader69
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to relay mail to mail server from Unix ?

Hi, I need to send email notifications from Unix/Linux box to users using mailx. In these Unix/Linux boxes mail is not configured however we are having mail server configured in our LAN. Could you please provide instructions to configure relay in these boxes so that we can relay our mails... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sourabhsharma
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i parse my Unix log files??

Hello, i would like to parse Unix log files and i would like to use a Unix syslog analyzer. I'm going to use Eucalyptus and i would like to parse its log files. Is there any open source/free syslog parser?? Thanks, in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_p
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I send a mail from my outlook or other mail accounts to UNIX server?

Hi all, I want to send a mail for my business needs from outlook account to an unix server (HP-UX) but I don't send any mail. While I can send from the unix server to my outlook account, I can't send from outlook to unix. How can I achieve this ? How can I send a mail from my outlook or other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igelegin
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)