Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Performance inquiry...guestimate better approach Post 302102986 by Perderabo on Monday 15th of January 2007 08:50:48 PM
Old 01-15-2007
malloc is tremendously expensive when it invokes sbrk() to expand the process. It should not be that bad when it doles out previously obtained memory. The trouble here is that there are various implementations of malloc and some platforms even have multiple malloc libraries so you can't paint all malloc implementations with the same brush. I would go with malloc/free to start with and do something else only if forced. Then each producer can have its own queue and there is no need for explicit shuttling of freed buffers among producers.

A performance hack... get stuff working and then monitor the memory requirements. Let's say that you find that a typical process needs about 10 MB of malloc'ed stuff. So malloc and free a 10 MB area at startup...a unix process will not shrink

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uniX iNQUIry from a newbie

hi, i would like to study unix but i don't have the software for me to test the scripts that i read from the book and from the internet. I would like to ask anyones help to please tell me link wer i can download for free the unix system. I would be glad to receive your replies. thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: youdexter
2 Replies

2. Web Development

Suggested tool / approach for performance testing

What is a good approach for a performance testing tool suite for web applications? I am specifically interested in tools that execute a certain set of tasks well as opposed to tuning high traffic sites. In other words, a profiler would be a good idea to have, although I understand these tools are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Firewall / Network isolation inquiry

Good morning folks, A good friend of mine has a network where every host has two paths to the file servers (two NICs & two networks for all hosts). Normally speaking, one network will be used for regular application traffic - license servers, itunes library, collaboration tools - while the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: avronius
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Offline Agents Inquiry.

Hello, I currently use Solaris, and typically I use the svcs -a | grep PROCESS to see if it's online or Offline. My questions is SVCS is in solaris but if I want to find out if a daemon or process is offline what other methods can I use? ps -ef | grep PROCESS "what do I look for" or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inquiry on Grabbing info from file.

Here is another script I am trying to customize currently, this script is used to send me disk space information, but at the moment I have to enter all the servers in manually SERVER= "xxx bbb ccc" ect.. how can I script it so that the servers are called off a txt file versus me entering all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Inquiry

Hi Everyone! I'm new with UNIX,so, sorry if this question seems really dumb.:( Anyway, I'd just like if it's possible to automatically inform someone (via mail or pop-up box or something) that a file has been recently uploaded/received to the UNIX box? If it is, any advice on how to get that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam04
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Inquiry for Automatic Sending

Hi Everyone! I'm new with UNIX,so, sorry if this question seems really dumb.:( Anyway, I'd just like if it's possible to automatically inform someone (via mail or pop-up box or something) that a file has been recently uploaded/received to the UNIX box? If it is, any advice on how to get that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jam04
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX inquiry for 'awk'

Hello Everyone, May I ask for your help regarding one of the UNIX command “awk”. So I executed a script and the output looks like this (see below): output.txt CONTRACTNAME ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven_huskie
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun Server and Solaris 7 Inquiry

Greetings! Will be firing up the good ole pizza box, soon. Does anyone know if Solaris 7 is still okay to use? Last time I attempted was 2006. Thank you in advance, ControlTomato (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ControlTomato
6 Replies
malloc(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 malloc(3)

Name
       malloc, free, realloc, calloc, alloca - memory allocator

Syntax
       char *malloc(size)
       unsigned size;

free(ptr)
       void *ptr;

char *realloc(ptr, size)
       void *ptr;
       unsigned size;

char *calloc(nelem, elsize)
       unsigned nelem, elsize;

char *alloca(size)
       int size;

Description
       The  and  subroutines  provide a simple general-purpose memory allocation package.  The subroutine returns a pointer to a block of at least
       size bytes beginning on a word boundary.

The argument to is a pointer to a block previously allocated by This space is made available for further allocation, but its  contents  are
       left undisturbed.

Needless to say, grave disorder will result if the space assigned by is overrun or if some random number is handed to

The subroutine maintains multiple lists of free blocks according to size, allocating space from the appropriate list.  It calls to get more
       memory from the system when there is no suitable space already free.  For further information, see

The subroutine changes the size of the block pointed to by ptr to size bytes and returns a pointer to the (possibly moved) block.  The con-
       tents will be unchanged up to the lesser of the new and old sizes.

In  order  to  be compatible with older versions, also works if ptr points to a block freed since the last call of or Sequences of and were
       previously used to attempt storage compaction.  This procedure is no longer recommended.

The subroutine allocates space for an array of nelem elements of size elsize.  The space is initialized to zeros.

The subroutine allocates size bytes of space associated with the stack frame of the caller.  This temporary space is  available	for  reuse
       when  the  caller returns.  On MIPS machines, calling reclaims all available storage.  On VAX machines, the space is automatically freed on
       return.

Each of the allocation routines returns a pointer to space suitably aligned (after possible pointer coercion) for storage of  any  type	of
       object.

Restrictions
       When returns 0, the block pointed to by ptr may be destroyed.

Currently,  the	allocator is unsuitable for direct use in a large virtual environment where many small blocks are kept, since it keeps all
       allocated and freed blocks on a circular list.  Just before more memory is allocated, all allocated and freed blocks are referenced.

Because the subroutine is machine dependent, its use should be avoided.

Diagnostics
       The and subroutines return a null pointer (0) if there is no available memory or if the arena has been detectably corrupted by storing out-
       side the bounds of a block.

RISC								 malloc(3)