Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disk duplicate in 10.20
Operating Systems HP-UX Disk duplicate in 10.20 Post 302102515 by Perderabo on Thursday 11th of January 2007 01:46:27 AM
Old 01-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoren

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL PROCEDURE THAT GIVE ME HP:
1) Initialize the disk and make it bootable
pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0
Note: the -B parameter tells pvcreate that this will be a bootable
disk.
mkboot /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
mkboot -a "hpux" /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0
2) Create the volume group
mkdir /dev/vg01
mknod /dev/vg01/group c 64 0x010000
vgcreate /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
NOTA : puede ser necesario utilizar esta opcion para limitar el volum group a 4 megas:
vgcreate -s 8 /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0

WHEN I TRY TO DO, THIS IS THE LOG:

pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0
mkboot /dev/dsk/c0t0d0
mknod /dev/vg06/group c 64 0x010000

vgcreate /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c0t4d0
Increased the number of physical extents per physical volume to 8750.
vgcreate: Volume group "/dev/vg01" could not be created:
File too large

( here is where is the problem, so I should change the default size using 8, but I guess it is not correct)

vgcreate -e 2048 /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c0t4d0
Increased the number of physical extents per physical volume to 8750.
vgcreate: Volume group "/dev/vg01" could not be created:
File too large
# vgcreate -s 8 /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c0t4d0
There is clearly a typo in the HP directions. In that last step they have changed disks. That can't be right. This procedure should involve only a single disk drive. You too seem to be using 2 disk drives, but you switch drives at a different point than HP. I'm guessing that c0t4d0 is correct and c0t0d0 is wrong. But I'm not sure. You really need to be sure that you're doing everthing to the correct disk. These commands can destroy your system if you run them on the wrong disk.

Also, what hardware are you using? What commands do you use to boot off the second disk? Exactly what result do you get when you try to boot?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to duplicate a floppy disk

Hi there, I have a boot disk that I'd like to make a copy of. I can't just copy it through windows because windows obviously doesn't recognise the format. What would I have to do in SCO to just simply make a copy of this disk?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaphs
0 Replies

2. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate based on 'n' fields and mark the duplicate as 'D'

Hi, In a file, I have to mark duplicate records as 'D' and the latest record alone as 'C'. In the below file, I have to identify if duplicate records are there or not based on Man_ID, Man_DT, Ship_ID and I have to mark the record with latest Ship_DT as "C" and other as "D" (I have to create... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Df -k command shows duplicate information in Solaris machine, How to get the exact disk space

While getting the total disk space in solaris machine using df -k command, i am getting the same disk info for every user available in that system. Is there any way to remove it. Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on rpool/ROOT/solaris 573898752... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasankn
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate values in specific column and delete all the duplicate values

Dear folks I have a map file of around 54K lines and some of the values in the second column have the same value and I want to find them and delete all of the same values. I looked over duplicate commands but my case is not to keep one of the duplicate values. I want to remove all of the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
4 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message displayed following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrya
1 Replies
prealloc(1)						      General Commands Manual						       prealloc(1)

NAME
prealloc - preallocate disk storage SYNOPSIS
name size DESCRIPTION
preallocates at least size bytes of disk space for an ordinary file name, creating the file if name does not already exist. The space is allocated in an implementation-dependent fashion for fast sequential reads and writes of the file. fails and no disk space is allocated if name already exists and is not an ordinary file of zero length, if insufficient space is left on disk, or if size exceeds the maximum file size or the file size limit of the process (see ulimit(2)). The file is zero-filled. DIAGNOSTICS
returns one of the following values upon completion: 0 Successful completion. 1 name already exists and is not an ordinary file of zero length. 2 There is insufficient room on the disk. 3 size exceeds file size limits. EXAMPLES
The following example preallocates 50000 bytes for the file WARNINGS
Allocation of file space is highly dependent on current disk usage. A successful return does not indicate how fragmented the file actually might be if the disk is approaching its capacity. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
prealloc(2), ulimit(2). prealloc(1)