Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is the default password for those build-in accounts? Post 302102312 by _Spare_Ribs_ on Tuesday 9th of January 2007 05:45:15 PM
Old 01-09-2007
These accounts are not for logging in with and hence that is why they have their login shells set to /bin/false. They are used by the daemons that they relate so sshd is used by the SSH daemon as the description says.

If you login as root and superuser to them

Code:
su sshd

you will see nothing happens.

As for you being able to login with Oracle, this is not unusual. It is sometimes used by DBAs to go in and use SQL Plus as it allows access to Orcale's components.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

default unix accounts

Hi, Can someone tell me what the default unix accounts are? And what is the default unix admin pwd? Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kandy19
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Does changing default password parms affect existing accounts in /etc/shadow?

Are the default password setting parameters (that are in /etc/login.defs) only used when a new local account is created on a server? It looks to me like a 'useradd userid1' command will look to the /etc/login.defs file to get default values for MINWEEKS MAXWEEKS and PASSLENGTH. If the parms are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msdjunk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding SDK Build on Kernel Source Build

Hi, So I downloaded this kernel source and was able to build it successfully. But I want to add this SDK source code inside, can anyone help me how to do this? Note that the SDK source can be built by itself. I added the SDK in the main Makefile: init-y := init/ #added SDK... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
0 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Password encryption - migration user accounts from SuSe to RedHat

Hello guys, I'm currently working on replacing old server and it's migration from SuSe SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64) VERSION = 10 PATCHLEVEL = 4 to the RedHat Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago) Problem seems be in migration of users passwords,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brusell
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Build.xml invocation by Build Script

Hi I have a build.xml file and I can run it on Windows via cmd. Now I want to write a script to invoke the same. Is there a way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankur328
1 Replies
PAM_GUEST(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      PAM_GUEST(8)

NAME
pam_guest -- Guest PAM module SYNOPSIS
[service-name] module-type control-flag pam_guest [arguments] DESCRIPTION
The guest service module for PAM allows guest logins. If successful, the pam_guest module sets the PAM environment variable GUEST to the login name. The application can check this variable using pam_getenv(3) to differentiate guest logins from normal logins. The following options may be passed to the pam_guest module: guests=list Comma-separated list of guest account names. The default is ``guest''. A typical value for ftpd(8) would be ``anonymous,ftp''. nopass Omits the password prompt if the target account is on the list of guest accounts. pass_as_ruser The password typed in by the user is exported as the PAM_RUSER item. This is useful for applications like ftpd(8) where guest users are encouraged to use their email address as password. pass_is_user Requires the guest user to type in the guest account name as password. SEE ALSO
pam_get_item(3), pam_getenv(3), pam.conf(5), pam(8) AUTHORS
The pam_guest module and this manual page were developed for the FreeBSD Project by ThinkSec AS and NAI Labs, the Security Research Division of Network Associates, Inc. under DARPA/SPAWAR contract N66001-01-C-8035 (``CBOSS''), as part of the DARPA CHATS research program. BSD
May 26, 2003 BSD