Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers optimizing - to find the number of occurrence Post 302102246 by srinivasan_85 on Tuesday 9th of January 2007 07:22:37 AM
Old 01-09-2007
Unix command

Hi,
I suppose the following simple unix command pipe will do the work:
cat filename | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr

In case of more than one word in a line, the pipe would change to:
cat filename | deroff -w | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr

Hope this is what you intended for. (i suspect you would have demanded only perl solutions to this issue Smilie )

Thanks
Srini

Last edited by srinivasan_85; 01-09-2007 at 08:30 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line number of an occurrence using grep

Hi All, is there a way to extract the line number of an occurrence using grep? I know that with the -n option it prints out the line number as well. I would like to assign the line number to a variable. Thanks, Sarah (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

line number of the i-th occurrence of a pattern

Hi all, is there a simple way to obtain the line number of the i-th occurrence of a pattern? I have OCCURRENCE=`grep -io "${STRING_NAME}" ${1}-${8}${EXT}.out_bis| wc -l` which tells me how many occurency I have. I would like to go through them and determine the line number and assign... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uniq adresses with number of occurrence

Alo I have a file with a lot of addresses where I want to list unique addresses and the number of theirs occurrence. I have this input file: 0011bd09 ea 01 0b 04 ea 01 0b 38-bd 11 00 98 15 cb 01 00 .......8........ 0011bd09 ea 11 00 98 15 cb 01 00-00 00 00 d8 3d 8d 01 94 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurrence at each line

Hi I have the following file ENST001 ENST002 4 4 4 88 9 9 ENST004 3 3 3 99 8 8 ENST009 ENST010 ENST006 8 8 8 77 8 8 Basically I want to count how many times ENST* is repeated in each line so the expected results is 2 1 3 Any suggestion please ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuad_
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of occurrence

: i need a bash script to convert the displayed output 12 14 15 12 15 13 to 12 * 2 ,13 * 1,14*1,15*1 Thanks, nevil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nevil
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the occurrence of a number?

Hi, I have a file which contained a set of numbers like Col1 col2 col3 col4 1 sa 13 0 2 sb 14 0 3 sc 15 9 4 sd 16 -9 5 sd 20 -2 6 sd 20 4 Here in last column I need to count the zeros, positive values and negative values, please help me to do that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find the number of occurrence

My file contains like this on 10 th line NM1*IL*1* awk '/NM1/{print NR}' *.dat output is 10 awk '/NM1*IL*1*/{print NR}' *.dat output is Nothing but im expecting 10 on second code as well . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_us
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or other way to find out number of occurrence of 7th character

Hi all, I am looking for to filter out based on 7th character and list the number of occurrence based on the 7th character if p , d , o or m 1. if 7th character is p , Output should be: p_hosts = N 2. if 7th character is d , Output should be: d_hosts = N 3. if 7th character is o , Output... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing find with many replacements

Hello, I'm looking for advice on how to optimize this bash script, currently i use the shotgun approach to avoid file io/buffering problems of forks trying to write simultaneously to the same file. i'd like to keep this as a fairly portable bash script rather than writing a C routine. in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
8 Replies
SORT(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   SORT(1)

NAME
sort - sort a file of ASCII lines SYNOPSIS
sort [-bcdfimnru] [-tc] [-o name] [+pos1] [-pos2] file ... OPTIONS
-b Skip leading blanks when making comparisons -c Check to see if a file is sorted -d Dictionary order: ignore punctuation -f Fold upper case onto lower case -i Ignore nonASCII characters -m Merge presorted files -n Numeric sort order -o Next argument is output file -r Reverse the sort order -t Following character is field separator -u Unique mode (delete duplicate lines) EXAMPLES
sort -nr file # Sort keys numerically, reversed sort +2 -4 file # Sort using fields 2 and 3 as key sort +2 -t: -o out # Field separator is : sort +.3 -.6 # Characters 3 through 5 form the key DESCRIPTION
Sort sorts one or more files. If no files are specified, stdin is sorted. Output is written on standard output, unless -o is specified. The options +pos1 -pos2 use only fields pos1 up to but not including pos2 as the sort key, where a field is a string of characters delim- ited by spaces and tabs, unless a different field delimiter is specified with -t. Both pos1 and pos2 have the form m.n where m tells the number of fields and n tells the number of characters. Either m or n may be omitted. SEE ALSO
comm(1), grep(1), uniq(1). SORT(1)