Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: If statement (yes or no)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If statement (yes or no) Post 302102142 by bobo on Monday 8th of January 2007 04:44:11 PM
Old 01-08-2007
Data If statement (yes or no)

I have the program:

#!/bin/ksh
echo Please enter yes or no
read n
typeset -l n
if [[ $n = yes ]]
then
echo My name
exit
else
echo delete my name
fi

Question:

How can I make the program accept only the word "yes" or "no" otherwise it will ask the user to re-enter?

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement

Hi, I have a statement in shell script which i am writing below: if ] then ..... What is the meaning of -a option in files, meaning of the statement in the if condition ] means. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

if statement

can someone please tell me what is wrong with the below. i'm trying to get a script to run if the content of a variable is either small letter y or capital letter Y. if then whatever fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

statement

I want to write a program that would convert yard to feet and feet to yard. i.e 1 yard = 3 * feet Echo "enter a" read a expr a *3 The trick is that I want to give the user some options. After the conversion from yard to feet is done, I want to ask the user whether or not he/she wants to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement help

I'm trying to create a script that would allow me to identify the sucessful removal of a file. Here's what i put together so far, let me know if it's correct or not. FILE_NAME="cactus.dat" FILE_FIND='find / -name $FILE_NAME' if ;then echo "cactus.dat was not removed successfully" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdpinoy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Statement

${GREP} ASM /var/opt/oracle/oratab | \ ${CUT} -d':' -f1 Please tell me the meaning for the above statement. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lg123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Statement

${PFILE}.backupfile Please tell me what the above statement means? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement

Hi, I have this code here. Its suppose to do something when certain condition is met, I'm pretty sure at least one of the condition will be meet somewhere in the loop but it always go to else part of the script. Is something wrong on this script? age_list=`tar -tvf /home/dir/$tarfile... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)