Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Logic behind display of .www folder ?? Post 302102115 by BOFH on Monday 8th of January 2007 11:02:32 AM
Old 01-08-2007
Actually it's the web server's configuration that interprets this. Your server appears to display a directory if the default file isn't present (index.htm in this case). Mine's configured to not display the directory (you get a Forbidden error I believe).

One way would be to change the default document for your home directory so there isn't one, or that index.htm isn't one of them. Then when someone browses to your directory, they get a directory listing and they can click on the index.htm to get your index page. Plus you can force it to index.htm by giving out yoursite/index.htm. The httpd.conf file is generally owned by the web server process or by root so if you're not root, you'll need to get their ok to have it changed just for your directory.

Alternately, you can have an index.php file as one of the documents and have it just whip up a quick directory listing with some data at the top welcoming folks to your site. That assumes php is installed of course. Not sure if you can do that with perl (I use php for other things so php is available to me).

Carl

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display the files in a folder which are older than 1 hour

Hi, I have some files in a folder with different time stamps and I want to display the files which are older than 1 hour. i tried with find. need urgent help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgs
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

display the files in a folder which are older than 1 hour

Hi, I have some files in a folder with different time stamps and I want to display the files which are older than 1 hour. i tried with find. need urgent help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgs
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display contents of folder when 'cd' is used

Hi, I am a new learner of Unix. I am currently working on a Solaris 8 machine. Earlier, when I use 'cd <folder name>' command, I am not only able to change the folder but also able to see the contents of the folder as if a 'ls -lt' command was executed. However, since a week, suddenly this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumashankar
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions of the folder var/www

what should be the permissions of the folder var/www in my ubuntu ? I need it to be safe and at the same time I need ftp users to be able to edit it. I was wondering if I should create a group with all permissions and add ftp users to this group in unix. what's the standard way to do it ?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

chroot openssh access www folder

here is the setup<br/> sshd_config: <pre> Match User sftp ChrootDirectory /chroot/sftp </pre> I connect just fine to the folder <pre>/chroot/sftp</pre> However I cannot access the website developer folder due to it being outside the scope of the defined chrootdirectory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunpealslyr
2 Replies
php-config(1)                                                   Scripting Language                                                   php-config(1)

NAME
php-config - get information about PHP configuration and compile options SYNOPSIS
php-config [options] DESCRIPTION
php-config is a simple shell script for obtaining information about installed PHP configuration. OPTIONS
--prefix Directory prefix where PHP is installed, e.g. /usr/local --includes List of -I options with all include files --ldflags LD Flags which PHP was compiled with --libs Extra libraries which PHP was compiled with --man-dir The directory prefix where the manpages is installed --extension-dir Directory where extensions are searched by default --include-dir Directory prefix where header files are installed by default --php-binary Full path to php CLI or CGI binary --php-sapis Show all SAPI modules installed on the Debian system --configure-options Configure options to recreate configuration of current PHP installation --version PHP version --vernum PHP version as integer SEE ALSO
php(1) VERSION INFORMATION
This manpage describes php, version 7.0.33-6+ubuntu18.04.1+deb.sury.org+3. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997-2017 The PHP Group This source file is subject to version 3.01 of the PHP license, that is bundled with this package in the file LICENSE, and is available through the world-wide-web at the following url: http://www.php.net/license/3_01.txt If you did not receive a copy of the PHP license and are unable to obtain it through the world-wide-web, please send a note to license@php.net so we can mail you a copy immediately. The PHP Group 2017 php-config(1)