Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help- Unix File Compare- Struggling Post 302101977 by Tornado on Saturday 6th of January 2007 03:45:35 PM
Old 01-06-2007
Try the diff command, you will need to script it to format the output the way you want it and send the output to a new file.
Tornado

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Struggling with a text file

Hi, I am struggling with the following... I try to grep out information of a text file I got with lynx, a text browser. The text file I get from lynx with dump is attached in the bottom. What I would like to get is another file containing the astro-ph/98324 (number) and title and list of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pau
13 Replies

2. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix script to compare the two file

Hi, I want to compare two | delimited files.Awk is not working in my unix box.So plz give alternate solutions. Please see the below code: file1=$1 file2=$2 num_of_records_file1=`awk ' END { print NR } ' $file1` num_of_records_file2=`awk ' END { print NR } ' $file2` i=1 while do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: autosys_nm
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Struggling with arrays and delimited file

Hi, I am trying to use arrays in my script but can not seem to get it to work. I have a file called sections, this contains headers from a tripwire log file, separated by "@" but could be "," if easier The headers will be used to cut sections from the log file into another to be mailed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file: struggling against sed command

Hello fellows, Sure you can help this poor guy that is struggling against sed command, being unable to tame it I have a lot of files like this: From this one, I need to obtain values highlighted in bold/red To do so, I am executing this piece of code inside a loop: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manolain
10 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Compare to values in a file in unix

Here is sample file ===============Index 0=================== isActive=0, Input=1, Output=1, Status=1 State = Future , PRIMARY UnderCount=2 inCount=2 outCount=0 SCount=673 -- ===============Index 1=================== isActive=0, Input=1, Output=1, Status=1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sooda
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two file in UNIX

Hi, how to compare all the differences from two files in unix ? plz provide the screenshots. Thanks, Dasaradha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dasaradha
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File compare in UNIX

I have two files which is having components and its version inside that, cat file1 com.acc.invm:FNS_PROD com.acc.invm:FNS_TEST_DCCC_Mangment com.acc.invm:FNS_APIPlat_BDMap com.acc.invm:SendEmail com.acc.invm:SendSms cat file2 com.acc.invm:FNS_PROD 94.0.5... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
11 Replies
COMM(1) 							   User Commands							   COMM(1)

NAME
comm - compare two sorted files line by line SYNOPSIS
comm [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Compare sorted files FILE1 and FILE2 line by line. With no options, produce three-column output. Column one contains lines unique to FILE1, column two contains lines unique to FILE2, and column three contains lines common to both files. -1 suppress column 1 (lines unique to FILE1) -2 suppress column 2 (lines unique to FILE2) -3 suppress column 3 (lines that appear in both files) --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --output-delimiter=STR separate columns with STR --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Note, comparisons honor the rules specified by 'LC_COLLATE'. EXAMPLES
comm -12 file1 file2 Print only lines present in both file1 and file2. comm -3 file1 file2 Print lines in file1 not in file2, and vice versa. GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report comm translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
join(1), uniq(1) The full documentation for comm is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and comm programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'comm invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 COMM(1)