Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sorting file content on columns Post 302101786 by marshmallow on Thursday 4th of January 2007 10:50:18 AM
Old 01-04-2007
sorting file content on columns

guys i have a question:

i'd like to sort files (as many I want) in columns so to visualize them one near the other...so let's say i have just 2 files:

FILE1
John
Mary
Bridget

FILE2
Anne
Robert
Mark

i would like to obtain:

John Anne
Mary Robert
Bridget Mark

I have tried

cat FILE1 FILE2 | xargs -n 2

but this will only extract the content of each single file and arrange it on two columns, which is not what i'm looking for....any idea?
thanx.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting a file with multiple columns

I have a file with several columns: Column1 Column2 Column3. . .Column6 I want to sort the data from Column6. Could I do that through sort even if there are spaces in between fields? Much thanks! outta. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: outtacontrol
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting file based on two or more columns

Hi gang. I'm using a unix/mac system and i'm trying to sort a file (more than 1,000,000 lines). chr1 100000965 100001001 - chr1 100002155 100002191 + chr1 100002165 100002201 + chr1 100002525 100002561 - chr1 10000364 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: labrazil
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transposing column to row, joining with another file, then sorting columns

Hello! I am very new to Linux and I do not know where to begin... I have a column with >64,000 elements (that are not in numberical order) like this: name 2 5 9 . . . 64,000 I would like to transpose this column into a row that will later become the header of a very large file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doobedoo
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting file with columns (problem)

Hi all! I am new to Unix programming so bare with me please :). I have saved the output of my results in a file called testfile which contains 3 columns a 15 rows. e.g. 175 754 abvd 948 454 fewf 43 754 fewc 6 734 feww xxx xxx xxxx I want to sort the contents of this file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: daelas
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting content of file

hi ladies and gents: can you give me a command to sort content of file and save it to the file itself: file1 roy@emerson.com joy@emerson.com irish@emerson.com output would be file1 on same directory: file1: irish@emerson.com joy@emerson.com roy@emerson.com (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
6 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Sorting file content by file extensions

Hi Experts, I have one .txt file which has filenames with various extensions e.g. .gz,.dat,.CTL,.xml. I want to sort all the filenames as per their extensions and would like to delete all the file names with .xml extension. Please help. PS : I am using Sun OS Generic_122300-60. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting by columns

Hi, I have a tab delimited columnar file where I want to remove lines wherever two particular columns match. so for this file, I want to toss the lines where columns 1 and 2 match: a a 1 3 a b 2 4 b b 3 5 because there are matches column 1 and 2 in lines 1 and 3, I would like a script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting content between match pattern and move on with awk and sed

S 0.0 0.0 (reg, inst050) k e f d c S 0.0 0.0 (mux, m030) k g r s x v S 0.0 0.0 (reg, inst020) q s n m (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Content of filtered files write as columns into one file

Hi everybody! i have a lot of files where i filter out data. #!/bin/bash f=sample_*.Spe for i in $f `eval echo ls sample_*.Spe` do if test -f "$i" then awk 'FNR==8 ||FNR==10 || (FNR>=13 && FNR<=268) {print $1}' $i > test$i.txt paste test$i.txt test_f.txt > test_f.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the files after sorting based on file content

Hi, I have two pipe separated files as below: head -3 file1.txt "HD"|"Nov 11 2016 4:08AM"|"0000000018" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" head -3 file2.txt "HD"|"Nov 15 2016 2:18AM"|"0000000019" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" "DT"|"240350264"|"56432" I want to list the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prasannag87
6 Replies
JOIN(1) 							   User Commands							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - join lines of two files on a common field SYNOPSIS
join [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
For each pair of input lines with identical join fields, write a line to standard output. The default join field is the first, delimited by blanks. When FILE1 or FILE2 (not both) is -, read standard input. -a FILENUM also print unpairable lines from file FILENUM, where FILENUM is 1 or 2, corresponding to FILE1 or FILE2 -e EMPTY replace missing input fields with EMPTY -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing fields -j FIELD equivalent to '-1 FIELD -2 FIELD' -o FORMAT obey FORMAT while constructing output line -t CHAR use CHAR as input and output field separator -v FILENUM like -a FILENUM, but suppress joined output lines -1 FIELD join on this FIELD of file 1 -2 FIELD join on this FIELD of file 2 --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --header treat the first line in each file as field headers, print them without trying to pair them -z, --zero-terminated line delimiter is NUL, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Unless -t CHAR is given, leading blanks separate fields and are ignored, else fields are separated by CHAR. Any FIELD is a field number counted from 1. FORMAT is one or more comma or blank separated specifications, each being 'FILENUM.FIELD' or '0'. Default FORMAT outputs the join field, the remaining fields from FILE1, the remaining fields from FILE2, all separated by CHAR. If FORMAT is the keyword 'auto', then the first line of each file determines the number of fields output for each line. Important: FILE1 and FILE2 must be sorted on the join fields. E.g., use "sort -k 1b,1" if 'join' has no options, or use "join -t ''" if 'sort' has no options. Note, comparisons honor the rules specified by 'LC_COLLATE'. If the input is not sorted and some lines cannot be joined, a warning message will be given. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Haertel. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report join translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
comm(1), uniq(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/join> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) join invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 JOIN(1)