Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sun Solaris 10 can Read NTFS File ? Post 302101485 by Ebbi on Tuesday 2nd of January 2007 06:02:20 AM
Old 01-02-2007
Check this: http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~bernhard/grub-solaris.html
But it seems that you need Solaris x86.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SUN Solaris 9 - Is there a 2GB file size limit?

Hi I am using SUN/Solaris 9 and I was told that some unix versions have 2GB size limit. Does this applies to SUN/Solaris 9? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
2 Replies

2. Solaris

NTFS in sun solaris

Anyone know any port to enable NTFS read in sun solaris ? its enabled in BSD long time ago i wonder why they dont enable it in Sun Solaris ?! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Mount a Remote NTFS Share for Read/Write under Linux

I've done this in the past, but I didn't save the syntax. I'm still kicking myself about that... I am trying to mount \\server_name\share_name for read/write under CentOS 5.2 (a "generic" version of RedHat). As I recall, there was a fairly simple (maybe a oneline) command that would allow NTFS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

6. Solaris

NTFS Compression on Solaris

Is there something similar on Solaris to windows NTFS compression where by the OS handles compression\decompression?This applies to my college web account so I can't change the partition setup etc. Thanks, Ger. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gleesonger
1 Replies

7. Solaris

NTFS under Solaris (switching from windows to Solaris server)

I want just to keep Solaris OS as my default OS . I have installed linux and windows as well but all my critical data is stored on NTFS partition so question is how to mount HDD with NTFS on Solaris (tried FUSE + NTFS-3g but that did`t worked for me system was down) And why Solaris does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Auditing in Sun Solaris environment

Hi All, I have a requirement to report us on changing a group of static files. Those are the binary files that run in Production every day. Due to the in sercure environment situations, I found many are indulging in there own changes to the binaries by doing some changes in the souce code. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

9. Solaris

How to mount ntfs for storage HDD new to Solaris 11.2?

I just installed Solaris 11.2 - and it is a bugger. How do I mount an extra HDD that is now formated to NTFS through gparted it keeps telling me I don't have any ntfs on this laptop. it has two hdds, /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 (Linux lingo) Solaris is installed on primary hard drive back of it. then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userx-bw
2 Replies
NTFSPROGS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      NTFSPROGS(8)

NAME
libntfs-gnomevfs - Module for GNOME VFS that allows access to NTFS filesystems. OVERVIEW
The GNOME virtual filesystem (VFS) provides universal access to different filesystems. The libntfs-gnomevfs module enables GNOME VFS aware clients to seamlessly utilize the NTFS library libntfs. So you can access an NTFS filesystem without needing to use the NTFS utilities themselves (at least in theory anyway). In practice this is probably more useful for programs and programmers to make using libntfs easier, more generic, and to allow easier debugging of libntfs. Examples Prerequisites To be able to follow these examples you will need to have installed the test utilities from the gnome-vfs-2.4.x package. The easiest way to do this is to download and compile the gnome-vfs-2 package, e.g. download from: http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.4/2.4.0/sources/gnome-vfs-2.4.0.tar.gz Then run ./configure followed by make and make install (as root). This will install it into /usr/local so it should not conflict with your existing installation from rpm or deb packages which will be in /usr. Note you may also need to add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and then run ldconfig (as root) to let your system see the installed gnome- vfs-2.4.x libraries. Then run ./configure followed by make and make install (as root) in the main ntfsprogs directory to build and install the libntfs-gnomevfs module and libntfs library which is used by the module. Copying a file from an NTFS partition To copy the file autoexec.bat from the main directory of an NTFS partition (/dev/hda1) to the /tmp directory on your system you could run: /path/to/gnome-vfs-2.4.x/test/test-xfer file:///dev/hda1#libntfs:/autoexec.bat /tmp/autoexec.bat To copy a file from a directory inside the NTFS partition you would just specify the full path. So for example to copy the file win.ini from the Windows directory you would run: /path/to/gnome-vfs-2.4.x/test/test-xfer file:///dev/hda1#libntfs:/Windows/win.ini /tmp/win.ini Shell access to an NTFS partition For debugging it is most useful to be able to do various things to the NTFS partition while it is being operated upon by libntfs. This is achieved using the test-shell utility (from the gnome-vfs-2.4.x package) by running: /path/to/gnome-vfs-2.4.x/test/test-shell This drops you into the GNOME VFS shell from where you can now cd into the NTFS partition (/dev/hda1) by typing: cd file:///dev/hda1#lib- ntfs:/ You are now in the root directory of the NTFS partition. The first thing you will probably want to do is to type "ls" to display the directory contents. You could then change directories using the "cd" command, e.g. to enter the Windows directory you would type: cd Windows You can then open files, seek inside files, read from files (write is not enabled at present), etc thus exercising large portions of the NTFS library. Use the "help" command while in the shell to see the available commands. BUGS
No bugs are known but there are several limitations at the moment: You cannot get information about files other than what the "ls" command in the test-shell can give you, i.e. the "info" command in the test-shell does not work. Further access to the partition is read-only and hence you cannot write to files. This will be changed in the future once the module has had more wide testing. There may be other limitations and possibly bugs. Please report any problems to the NTFS mailing list: linux-ntfs-dev@lists.source- forge.net AUTHORS
The libntfs-gnomevfs module was written by Jan Kratochvil. This man page was written by Anton Altaparmakov. AVAILABILITY
The ntfsprogs package which contains the libntfs-gnomevfs module can be downloaded from http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/19/37/ These manual pages can be viewed online at http://man.linux-ntfs.org/ntfsprogs.8.html SEE ALSO
ntfsprogs(8) Linux-NTFS version 2.0.0 November 2003 NTFSPROGS(8)