Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Getting a random file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting a random file Post 302101304 by reborg on Sunday 31st of December 2006 11:03:42 AM
Old 12-31-2006
I have reopend this thread becasue the member gave a satisfactory justification for the thread by PM.

Sorry David, seems I was a bit hasty. For future reference if you explain what you are trying to achieve it might avoid this, in particular since you are posting from an educational domain.

ksh code:
Code:
set +A files ./*/*.jpg    # create an array of the files.
N=${#files[@]}           # Number of members in the array
((N=RANDOM%N))
randomfile=${files[$N]}

bash:
Code:
files=(./*/*.jpg)        # create an array of the files.
N=${#files[@]}          # Number of members in the array
((N=RANDOM%N))
randomfile=${files[$N]}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

[C++] File I/O (Reading from a Random-Access File)

INFO: The program should enter a circle radius and Id for that circle to a file, then it should search for that id and print the radius for that circle. PROBLEM: This program compiles but it's not searching properly. Circle.h #ifndef CIRCLE_H #define CIRCLE_H #include <iostream>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: VersEtreOuNe
0 Replies

2. Linux

random number as file owner

Dear all, I get the situation from my office but i cannot think what is happening. please give me some advise. 1. some file owner and group is changed to a very long number 2. i login as root. when i touch a file or operate on the file like chown, cp, the response is "Read-only file system".... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickhlwong
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change the current file processing to some other random file in awk ?

Hello, say suppose i am processing an file emp.dat the field of which are deptno empno empname etc now say suppose i want to change the file to emp.lst then how can i do it? Here i what i attempted but in vain BEGIN{ system("sort emp.dat > emp.lst") FILENAME="emp.lst" } { print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

random select text file ranamed

i want to need script.. source.txt /home/user1/public_html/test3 /home/user90/public_html/test9 . . . /home/user650/public_html/test000 read source.txt and cd /home/user**/public_html/*** and there is 1.txt, 2txt ~~25.txt and select 6 text files randomly among the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick random file from ls command.

Lets say I want to pick a random file when I do an "ls" command. I don't have set number of files in each directory. ls | head -1 This gives me the first one in each directory, is there a way to do the same but pick a random one. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random File Selection and Moving

OK, I am stumpped. I have this shell Script that I want to randomly select a file with the extention of .sct. Then using a portion of its file name select the six related .mot files. Then move them all to another folder. I also need a user input form for the number of .SCT files to randomly select... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stak1993
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

choosing random columns from a file

Hello, I want to choose random columns from big file. for example: My file contain around 21000 columns and I want to randomly extract 4000 columns from this file. Anybody has a solution (may be one liner or a function in perl or awk) for this? Thanks, R (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryan9011
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recurse directories and return random file

I have a nice program to change the background but I want it to operate on subdirectories as well. # Script to randomly set Background from files in a directory while true;do # Directory Containing Pictures DIR="/home/pc/Pictures" # Internal Field Separator set to newline, so file names... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: triplemaya
4 Replies
RECEIVE(1)						      General Commands Manual							RECEIVE(1)

NAME
receive - receive files from the sendfile spool SYNOPSIS
receive [ -d ] [ -r ] [ -k ] [ -P ] [ -S ] [ -Z spool ] [ -q ] [ -ffrom ] file [...] receive -n [ -d ] [ -r ] [ -k ] [ -P ] [ -S ] [ -Z spool ] [ -q ] file-number [...] receive [ -s ] [ -l ] [ -L ] [ -R ] [ -ffrom ] receive -b user[@host] [ -k ] [ -f"from" ] file [...] receive -b user[@host] [ -k ] [ -f"from" ] -n file-number [...] receive -b user[@host] [ -k ] -a DESCRIPTION
receive files from the sendfile spool which has been sent to you. If there is already a file with the same name you will be prompted for overwriting or renaming. Allowed wildcards in file names are: * ? [abc] [^abc] CAUTION: you have to put wildcards and other special characters in '' quotes to hide them for interpretation by your shell. OPTIONS
-n receive file number(s) -d delete instead of receive -a receive (or delete or bounce) all files -r rename before receiving -k keep files in spool after receiving -P pipe files to stdout -S receive only pgp-signed files -s list files in short format -l list files -L list files and look inside archives, too -R renumber files in spool -b bounce (forward) files to another recipient -q quiet mode: no questions asked -fuser all actions refer only to files from this user -Z spool specify an alternate spool directory EXAMPLES
receive -L list all files in long format. receive 'blubb*' receive all files starting with string "blubb". receive -daf microsoft.com delete all files from microsoft.com sites. receive -b framstag@bofh '*.jpg' bounce all *.jpg-files to framstag@bofh. FILES
/var/spool/sendfile The sendfile spool directory. /var/spool/sendfile/$USER/log A log of the last transfers. /etc/sendfile.deny Users which are not allowed to receive files or messages (set by root). SEE ALSO
sendfile(1). AUTHOR
Ulli Horlacher - framstag@rus.uni-stuttgart.de 3rd Berkeley Distribution RECEIVE(1)