Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how do collect shell output in a C program Post 302101265 by damn_bkb on Saturday 30th of December 2006 01:18:35 AM
Old 12-30-2006
how do collect shell output in a C program

i use the system command to execute a shell command... ca i collect the out put in the form of a string or something using the same C program?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing output from C++ program

Hi I have a C++ program that generates a lot of log information on the console, I need this output (printed using printf function) to go to a file since I will use crontab to schedule the job. I know I can do this: myprog > myfile but I don't know how to enter this in crontab. I use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

2. Programming

C program Output

The output I got for this pgm is "4 4 4 4". Can any one help me to understand how I got this output. Also please suggest me some links to learn about argumnets evaluation in C. # include <stdio.h> void func(int a, int b, int c, int d) { printf("%d %d %d %d", a, b, c, d); } int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunviswanath
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Enable a shell to collect data from unix, return to windows

hi I am very new to UNIX. I need to retrieve data from a unix system and store it and display as output on a windows system. Initiation of procedure is through JAVASCRIPT-based buttons on a HTML page. This should cause a set of commands to run which colllect data from a unix based server and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rossalyn_maxter
1 Replies

4. Programming

ambiguity in program output

1 #include <fcntl.h> 2 3 main(int argc, char *argv) 4 { 5 char buf; 6 int fd, count = 0; 7 8 if (argc > 1) 9 fd = open(argv, O_RDONLY); 10 else 11 fd = 0; /* Use standard input */ 12 13 while (read(fd, buf, 1) > 0) { 14 if (count < 5) write(1, buf, 1); 15 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me! Format output file using shell program

Hi, I have following input file. I want to generate output file in specific format using shell program. The input file has atleast few thousands of lines, the below are some sample lines. Input file: "ORDER NO"|"ORDER AMT"|"LINE ITEM"|"LINE AMT"|"SALES COMMISION %" ORD3456|5000|LIN345|30|25%... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsubha
8 Replies

6. Programming

Please help me with my output for my program

Hello All, iam a new memeber today i joined this forum. hope i will get help. the below program takes input strings and give reverse of input string. && mv /home/test1/programs/display /home/test1/programs/old echo " Please enter the test " read a echo "$a" > file wc -c file > file1 perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ameyrk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to collect information from current and remote unix boxes

I am using AIX 5.3.0.0 ; I need a script to find out each remote AIX boxes Hostname, Model name and Serial number in following format Hostname Modelname SerialID AIXMC01 IBM,7026-B80 IBM,0110BBA1F AIXMC02 IBM,7026-H50 IBM,0110BBA56 AIXMC03 IBM,7026-H50 IBM,0110BBARR... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to collect inbound connections

Hi Kindly provide me shell script on server to collect inbound connections, using port number on Linux. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adminhelp
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing multiple C program output into a shell

Hi I have the following C code # cat test.c #include <stdio.h> main() { printf ("The output is : Power\n"); printf ("The output is : No Power\n"); } The output of this C code is # ./test The output is : Power The output is : No Power Now i need to pass this outputs into a shell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able ot collect perldoc output to a file

I need the output of perldoc command collected to a file # perldoc -l File::Scan::ClamAV > /usr/src/asas.txt No documentation found for "File::Scan::ClamAV". # cat /usr/src/asas.txt # (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - overview of various system shells SYNOPSIS
POSIX Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] Korn Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] C Shell [command_file] [argument_list ...] Key Shell DESCRIPTION
Remarks The POSIX .2 standard requires that, on a POSIX-compliant system, executing the command activates the POSIX shell (located in file on HP-UX systems), and executing the command produces an on-line manual entry that displays the syntax of the POSIX shell command-line. However, the command has historically been associated with the conventional Bourne shell, which could confuse some users. To meet stan- dards requirements and also clarify the relationships of the various shells and where they reside on the system, this entry provides com- mand-line syntax and a brief description of each shell, and lists the names of the manual entries where each shell is described in greater detail. The Bourne shell is removed from the system starting with HP-UX 11i Version 1.5. Please use the POSIX shell as an alternative. Shell Descriptions The HP-UX operating system supports the following shells: POSIX-conforming command programming language and command interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell conforms to current POSIX standards in effect at the time the HP-UX system release was introduced, and is similar to the Korn shell in many respects. Similar in many respects to the Korn shell, the POSIX shell contains a history mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. Korn-shell command programming language and commands interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell, like the POSIX shell, contains a his- tory mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. A command language interpreter that incorporates a command history buffer, C-language-like syntax, and job control facilities. Restricted version of the POSIX shell command interpreter. Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. restricted version of the Korn-shell command interpreter Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. An extension of the standard Korn Shell that uses hierarchical softkey menus and context-sensitive help. +--------------+--------------------+ | To obtain: | Use the command: | +--------------+--------------------+ | POSIX Shell | /usr/bin/sh ... | | Korn Shell | /usr/bin/ksh ... | | C Shell | /usr/bin/csh ... | | Key Shell | /usr/bin/keysh | +--------------+--------------------+ These shells can also be the default invocation, depending on the entry in the file. See also chsh(1). WARNINGS
Many manual entries contain descriptions of shell behavior or describe program or application behavior similar to ``the shell'' with a ref- erence to ``see sh(1)''. SEE ALSO
For more information on the various individual shells, see: keysh(1) Key Shell description. ksh(1) Korn Shell description. sh-posix(1) POSIX Shell description. csh(1) C Shell description. sh(1)