Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mass file renaming
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mass file renaming Post 302101223 by zazzybob on Friday 29th of December 2006 07:04:03 AM
Old 12-29-2006
Code:
$ ls
file1   file2   file3   file4
$ ls file* | xargs -I{}  mv {} {}.txt
$ ls
file1.txt       file2.txt       file3.txt       file4.txt

You may need -i (lower case 'i') with your version of xargs.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mass delete a certain string in a .log file

Hey all. I have a file that has roughly 115,000 lines in it. There are a few lines of information that I don't want in it, but I don't want to search through all of the lines to find the ones that I don't want. Is there a way to do a mass delete of the lines that I don't want? Thanks for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
4 Replies

2. AIX

VI questions : mass changes, mass delete and external insert

Is it possible in VI to do a global change but take the search patterns and the replacement patterns from an external file ? I have cases where I can have 100,200 or 300+ global changes to do. All the new records are inside a file and I must VI a work file to change all of them. Also, can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with scripting mass file edits..

Hello, I am wanting to know a way to shell (ksh)script-edit a file by having a script that searches for a specific string, and then input lines of text in the file after that specific string. Please help, as I will be up all night if I can't figure this out. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mass file mv

I have 100k+ files in a directory. I wanna create new directories and move each 2500 files into a new directory. Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sean2008
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file renaming

How can I rename files named like these iq - 000001 - 2008.07.31 - 14.49.47 - location1.bin iq - 000001 - 2008.07.31 - 14.49.47 - location12.bin iq - 000008 - 2008.07.31 - 14.52.01 - location500.bin to iq_2008.07.31_14.49.47_location1.bin iq_2008.07.31_14.49.47_location12.bin... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: larne
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file use another file as a sequence calling a shl

have this shl that will FTP a file from the a directory in windows to UNIX, It get the name of the file stored in this variable $UpLoadFileName then put in the local directory LocalDir="${MPATH}/xxxxx/dat_files" that part seems to be working, but then I need to take that file and rename, I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mass renaming files with complex filenames

Hi, I've got files with names like this : _Some_Name_178_HD_.mp4 _Some_Name_-_496_Vost_SD_(720x400_XviD_MP3).avi Goffytofansub_Some name 483_HD.avi And iam trying to rename it with a regular pattern. My gola is this : Ep 178.mp4 Ep 496.avi Ep 483.avi I've tried using sed with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: VLaw
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved]removing characters from a mass of file names

I found a closed thread that helped quite a bit. I tried adding the URL, but I can't because I don't have enough points... ? Modifying the syntax to remove ! ~ find . -type f -name '*~\!]*' | while IFS= read -r; do mv -- "$REPLY" "${REPLY//~\!]}"; done These messages are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rabidphilbrick
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file and check for the renamed file existence

Hi Am trying to move a file from one name to another When I do "ls" to check for the moved filename I can see the file but when I try the same with a script am unable.. I think am doing some pretty silly error.. please help.. toMove=`ls | grep -E "partition.+"` mv $toMove partition._org... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies
KDIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							 KDIFF3(1)

NAME
KDiff3 -- compares two or three input files or directories SYNOPSIS
KDiff3 [QT options] [KDE options] [KDiff3 options] [File1/base] [File2] [File3] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the KDiff3 tool. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. For comprehensive help, please see khelpcenter help:/kdiff3. KDiff3 is a program that o compares or merges two or three text input files or directories o shows the differences line by line and character by character o provides an automatic merge-facility and o an integrated editor for comfortable solving of merge-conflicts o supports Unicode, UTF-8 and other codecs o supports KIO on KDE (allows accessing ftp, sftp, fish, smb etc.) o Printing of differences o Manual alignment of lines o Automatic merging of version control history ($Log$) OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a full summary of options, run KDiff3 --help. -m, --merge Merge the input. -b, --base file Explicit base file. For compatibility with certain tools. -o, --output file Output file. Implies -m. E.g.: -o newfile.txt --out file Output file, again. (For compatibility with certain tools.) --auto No GUI if all conflicts are auto-solvable. (Needs -o file) --qall Don't solve conflicts automatically. (For compatibility...) -L1 alias Visible name replacement for first file/base file. -L2 alias Visible name replacement for second file. -L3 alias Visible name replacement for third file. -L, --fname alias Visible name replacement. May by supplied for each input. --cs string Change a setting, e. g. --cs "AutoAdvance=1". --confighelp Show a list of all settings and their values. --config file Use a different settings file. --author Show author of program. -v, --version Show version of program. --license Show license of program. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Eike Sauer <eike@debian.org> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 (or, at your option, any later version published by the Free Software Foundation). On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. KDIFF3(1)