Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mass file renaming
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mass file renaming Post 302101221 by Indalecio on Friday 29th of December 2006 06:51:33 AM
Old 12-29-2006
Java Mass file renaming

Hi Smilie

Is there any command I could use to rename a bunch of files resident of the same location to their original name plus a fixed text string of my own?

Example:
File1
File2
File3

Output:
File1.txt
File2.txt
File3.txt

This is easy using a "for" loop but what I want is a one-line command. Could you please help me with this one? Cheers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mass delete a certain string in a .log file

Hey all. I have a file that has roughly 115,000 lines in it. There are a few lines of information that I don't want in it, but I don't want to search through all of the lines to find the ones that I don't want. Is there a way to do a mass delete of the lines that I don't want? Thanks for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
4 Replies

2. AIX

VI questions : mass changes, mass delete and external insert

Is it possible in VI to do a global change but take the search patterns and the replacement patterns from an external file ? I have cases where I can have 100,200 or 300+ global changes to do. All the new records are inside a file and I must VI a work file to change all of them. Also, can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with scripting mass file edits..

Hello, I am wanting to know a way to shell (ksh)script-edit a file by having a script that searches for a specific string, and then input lines of text in the file after that specific string. Please help, as I will be up all night if I can't figure this out. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mass file mv

I have 100k+ files in a directory. I wanna create new directories and move each 2500 files into a new directory. Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sean2008
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file renaming

How can I rename files named like these iq - 000001 - 2008.07.31 - 14.49.47 - location1.bin iq - 000001 - 2008.07.31 - 14.49.47 - location12.bin iq - 000008 - 2008.07.31 - 14.52.01 - location500.bin to iq_2008.07.31_14.49.47_location1.bin iq_2008.07.31_14.49.47_location12.bin... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: larne
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file use another file as a sequence calling a shl

have this shl that will FTP a file from the a directory in windows to UNIX, It get the name of the file stored in this variable $UpLoadFileName then put in the local directory LocalDir="${MPATH}/xxxxx/dat_files" that part seems to be working, but then I need to take that file and rename, I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mass renaming files with complex filenames

Hi, I've got files with names like this : _Some_Name_178_HD_.mp4 _Some_Name_-_496_Vost_SD_(720x400_XviD_MP3).avi Goffytofansub_Some name 483_HD.avi And iam trying to rename it with a regular pattern. My gola is this : Ep 178.mp4 Ep 496.avi Ep 483.avi I've tried using sed with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: VLaw
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved]removing characters from a mass of file names

I found a closed thread that helped quite a bit. I tried adding the URL, but I can't because I don't have enough points... ? Modifying the syntax to remove ! ~ find . -type f -name '*~\!]*' | while IFS= read -r; do mv -- "$REPLY" "${REPLY//~\!]}"; done These messages are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rabidphilbrick
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file and check for the renamed file existence

Hi Am trying to move a file from one name to another When I do "ls" to check for the moved filename I can see the file but when I try the same with a script am unable.. I think am doing some pretty silly error.. please help.. toMove=`ls | grep -E "partition.+"` mv $toMove partition._org... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies
gfs2_tool(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      gfs2_tool(8)

NAME
gfs2_tool - interface to gfs2 ioctl/sysfs calls SYNOPSIS
gfs2_tool COMMAND [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
gfs2_tool is an interface to a variety of the GFS2 ioctl/sysfs calls. Some of the functions of gfs_tool have been replaced by standard sys- tem tools such as mount and chattr, so gfs2_tool doesn't have as many options as gfs_tool used to. COMMANDS
clearflag Flag File1 File2 ... Clear an attribute flag on a file. This is now obsolete and kept only for backward compatibility, chattr is the preferred way to clear attribute flags. See setflag for available flags. This option will probably be removed at a future date. freeze MountPoint Freeze (quiesce) a GFS2 cluster. gettune MountPoint Print out the current values of the tuning parameters in a running filesystem. A better source of similar (more comprehensive) information is that in the /proc/mounts file. Running the mount command with no arguments will also provide the same information. This option is considered obsolete and will probably be removed at some future date. journals MountPoint Print out information about the journals in a mounted filesystem. lockdump MountPoint Print out information about the locks this machine holds for a given filesystem. This information is also available via the debugfs glock dump file, and accessing that file is the preferred method of obtaining a dump of the glock state. sb device proto [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the name of the locking protocol in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. sb device table [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the name of the locking table in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. sb device ondisk [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the ondisk format number in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. No one should have to use this. sb device multihost [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the multihost format number in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. No one should have to use this. sb device uuid [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the uuid in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. The new uuid value should be in the standard uuid format. For example: 1AEA8269-15C5-72BD-6D83-8720B17AA4EE sb device all Print out the superblock. setflag Flag File1 File2 ... Set an attribute flag on a file. The currently supported flags are jdata, immutable, appendonly, noatime, and sync. The chattr command is the preferred way to set attributes on files. This option will probably be removed at a future date. The jdata flag causes all the data written to a file to be journaled. If the jdata flag is set for a directory, all files and directories subsequently created within that directory are also journaled. This behavior replaces the old inherit_jdata flag from gfs. Same as chattr +j. The immutable flag marks the file immutable. The behavior is similar to the immutable flag in the ext2/3 filesystems. All write access is denied. Same as chattr +i. The appendonly flag causes all data to be written at the end of the file. Same as chattr +a. The noatime flag disables updates to the file's access time. Same as chattr +A. The sync flag causes data written to the file to be sync'ed to stable storage immediately. Same as chattr +S. settune MountPoint parameter newvalue Set the value of tuning parameter. Use gettune for a listing of tunable parameters. The mount -oremount command is the preferred way to set the values of tunable parameters. At some future stage, when all parameters can be set via mount, this option will be removed. unfreeze MountPoint Unfreeze a GFS2 cluster. version Print out the version of GFS2 that this program goes with. withdraw MountPoint Cause GFS2 to abnormally shutdown a given filesystem on this node. This feature is only useful for testing and should not be used during normal filesystem operation. gfs2_tool(8)