Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: screen question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers screen question Post 302101204 by dsjkvf on Friday 29th of December 2006 03:06:34 AM
Old 12-29-2006
any news here? Smilie

for now i'm using 'less' as a filter, so it makes a pause, and i'm able to see an output.

but may be there is another more stylish decision?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dummie Question, Can anyone take a screen shot of a UNIX system?

Since i have never seen one of these systems, i am just curious of how it looks. Btw if unix is not a GUI then is it possible to take a screenshots (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Punk18
4 Replies

2. Programming

How to clear screen

I searched the post and someone said to clear the screen in C, use printf("\033[2J"); ?? However, this doesn't work...typo or no. What is an equivalent command to 'CLS' in DOS/'clear' in UNIX to clear the screen and go to top of screen?? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Double screen

Hi Guys, I'm using a double screen machine with linux Red Hat. The problem is that I see the same image in both screens... Can anybody tell me how to solve this problem? Thanks a lot, Pablo. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cordobapablo
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with screen

Hello everyone! I'm trying to figure out how to send commands from one screen to another. For example i wish to send a simple "ls -all" from screen #1 to screen #2, can it be done, and how? :confused: Thank you! (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurth
12 Replies

5. Solaris

Someone's got to know... Screen resolution question.

Hi all, Someone please help, I have a machine running Sun Solaris 5.8. X used to run fine, not it can't start. (possible user intervention) It looks to be trying to run at 1280x1024. I don't think the hardware will support it, it seems high. Anyways, how from the commandline, via ssh, can I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
4 Replies

6. Solaris

screen saver

I am using solaris 10 x86, i am trying to create my own sreensavers using the pictures in my folder. pls can someone tell on how to go about this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Virtual screen accessed by Screen Sharing

Hi, I'm trying to create a virtual screen, (maybe xvfb? or any other virtual screen buffer) and be able to use Screen Sharing to connect to it. The setup is that I have a Mac Mini connected to the TV. But when my girlfriend is using Front Row, I can't use Screen Sharing at the same time from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linge
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accidentally made a screen within a screen - how to move it up one level?

I made a screen within a screen. Is there a way to move the inner screen up one level so that it is at the same level as the first screen running from the shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

O/P same as on screen

#Random Scripts 4 #Desc: clear echo "1. To see all processes currently running on the system" echo "2. To kill any given process" echo "Choose between the two" read x case $x in "1")print `ps aux`;; "2") echo "Choose a process to be killed" read y check=`ps ax | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: targetshell
1 Replies
news(1) 							   User Commands							   news(1)

NAME
news - print news items SYNOPSIS
news [-a] [-n] [-s] [items] DESCRIPTION
news is used to keep the user informed of current events. By convention, these events are described by files in the directory /var/news. When invoked without arguments, news prints the contents of all current files in /var/news, most recent first, with each preceded by an appropriate header. news stores the ``currency'' time as the modification date of a file named .news_time in the user's home directory (the identity of this directory is determined by the environment variable $HOME ); only files more recent than this currency time are considered ``current.'' OPTIONS
-a Print all items, regardless of currency. In this case, the stored time is not changed. -n Report the names of the current items without printing their contents, and without changing the stored time. -s report how many current items exist, without printing their names or contents, and without changing the stored time. It is useful to include such an invocation of news in one's .profile file, or in the system's /etc/profile. All other arguments are assumed to be specific news items that are to be printed. If a delete is typed during the printing of a news item, printing stops and the next item is started. Another delete within one second of the first causes the program to terminate. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of news. FILES
/etc/profile /var/news/* $HOME/.news_time ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWesu | |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
profile(4), attributes(5), environ(5) SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1996 news(1)