Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Top and Prstat display different results for memory Post 302101163 by Perderabo on Thursday 28th of December 2006 01:24:50 PM
Old 12-28-2006
No one can read stuff when you squeeze out all of the blanks. Normally, when a user does not use code tags, I can edit a user's post and insert code tags to cause the spaces to be shown. Somehow you have removed the spaces so I cannot repair your post to readability.

prstat is trying to tell you that 99% of the stuff in virtual memory is also in physical memory. This is quite accurate and means you must have plenty of memory. The remaining 1% won't pop into existence until it is needed...some pages of a program are just never used.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Have Top Display The Top 20 Processes??

how can i do that in a script withough havin the script halt at the section where the top command is located. am writign a script that will send me the out put of unx commands if the load average of a machine goes beyond the recommended number. top -n 20 i want to save this output to a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. AIX

TOP Results AIX 5.3

With the exception of the Oracle processes can anyone telll me what these other AIX processes are???? 1032 root 16 21 20K 8K 0.0 slp 0:22+ 145:55 0.0/ 0.5 Kernel (lrud) 51178 root 39 21 20K 20K 0.0 slp 0:12+ 7:10 0.0/ 0.0 Kernel (aioserver) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff between prstat and top

what is the diff between prstat and top command in unix? can anyone tell me please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

4. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

5. Solaris

100% memory usage in prstat

Hi Guys, I have observed the Oracle (DB USER) is utilizing 100% of the memory in the prstat -a output. I am bit confused is it normal and if not how to bring it down? ABout the machine it is a SunOS 5.10 Generic_125100-10 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200. Please see below output of prstat -a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display echo results in three column

Dear Friends, I have my command output which displays on one row and values are now scrollable (vertical) 3 pages. How do i display those output in three column so that i no need to scroll? Example: dcadd$cat components 1.Caluculator 2.Diary ... ... 50.Mobile 51.Battery .. ...... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
12 Replies

7. Solaris

Free memory in top and prstat command

Hi Export, i execute 'top' command to show the free memory in Solaris host, but the read is much lower than the RSS value shown in prstat command. Which one can reflect the real status and it is possible the difference caused by any patch of OS? Top command (only 883 memory is free)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eiga
3 Replies

8. Solaris

prstat RSS memory

Hi everyone, was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what I am seeing on one of our solaris systems. prstat -s size -a is showing user oradba as being top virtual memory consumption. 639 oradba 3012G 2951G 100% 59:44:01 25% why is it saying 3012G size and 2951G RSS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: k4boy
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display some special results with AWK

I have a file like this: AAEQGAGNQPQH,,,,160,32,,,, AAGQDYNSPLH,,712,39,,,,,, AAGREGGNTEAF,26,,,,,,,,4 AAGSPQH,,,,8,5,,,, AAKKLGQFYNEQF,4,,6,,,7,,,2 AANSGGRYNEQF,,2747,3120,,,,,, AAQGGVGGELF,,,,5,,12,36,, AAQGLAGYYEQY,,25,13,,,,,, AAQRGNEQF,510,2,,,6,,6,,76 AAQTGENSPLH,,16,16,,,,,, The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format Top and prstat command output

need help with formatting output of command top and prstat. My requirment is to remove few columns and display remaining . But when i used awk to do that the output seems to be have gone vague, mixing the column values. After using awk to print particular column the output seems to have lost... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NarayanaPrakash
1 Replies
BLAZE-EDIT(1)						    BlazeBlogger Documentation						     BLAZE-EDIT(1)

NAME
blaze-edit - edits a blog post or a page in the BlazeBlogger repository SYNOPSIS
blaze-edit [-fpqCPV] [-b directory] [-E editor] id blaze-edit -h|-v DESCRIPTION
blaze-edit opens an existing blog post or a page with the specified id in an external text editor. Note that there are several special forms and placeholders that can be used in the text, and that will be replaced with a proper data when the blog is generated. Special Forms <!-- break --> A mark to delimit a blog post synopsis. Placeholders %root% A relative path to the root directory of the blog. %home% A relative path to the index page of the blog. %page[id]% A relative path to a page with the supplied id. %post[id]% A relative path to a blog post with the supplied id. %tag[name]% A relative path to a tag with the supplied name. OPTIONS
-b directory, --blogdir directory Allows you to specify a directory in which the BlazeBlogger repository is placed. The default option is a current working directory. -E editor, --editor editor Allows you to specify an external text editor. When supplied, this option overrides the relevant configuration option. -p, --page Tells blaze-edit to edit a page or pages. -P, --post Tells blaze-edit to edit a blog post or blog posts. This is the default option. -f, --force Tells blaze-edit to create an empty source file in case it does not already exist. If the core.processor option is enabled, this file is used as the input to be processed by the selected application. -C, --no-processor Disables processing a blog post or page with an external application. -q, --quiet Disables displaying of unnecessary messages. -V, --verbose Enables displaying of all messages. This is the default option. -h, --help Displays usage information and exits. -v, --version Displays version information and exits. ENVIRONMENT
EDITOR Unless the core.editor option is set, BlazeBlogger tries to use system-wide settings to decide which editor to use. EXAMPLE USAGE
Edit a blog post in an external text editor: ~]$ blaze-edit 10 Edit a page in an external text editor: ~]$ blaze-edit -p 4 Edit a page in nano: ~]$ blaze-edit -p 2 -E nano SEE ALSO
blaze-config(1), blaze-add(1), blaze-list(1) BUGS
To report a bug or to send a patch, please, add a new issue to the bug tracker at <http://code.google.com/p/blazeblogger/issues/>, or visit the discussion group at <http://groups.google.com/group/blazeblogger/>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008-2011 Jaromir Hradilek This program is free software; see the source for copying conditions. It is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Version 1.2.0 2012-03-05 BLAZE-EDIT(1)