Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using of Top command as script parameter Post 302101062 by elthox on Wednesday 27th of December 2006 10:20:33 AM
Old 12-27-2006
Using of Top command as script parameter

Hi All

I am interested at using the output of Top command which shows some important system paramter related to CPU usage. I want to write a shell script in order to manipulate this output of command and to take some statistics for CPU.

Basically, I tried to redirect the top output to a textfile in this way:

Top > test

Except the fact the this action lasted too much, the content of filled new file was misformatted, where rows where mixed with eachother.

I have tried the same thing on a SUSE Linux machine and it worked.
I dont know why here it doesnt work in order to have a formatted content in the file.

Is there any solution for this? And besides the redirection method (top > test) is there any other method to create a file with the top output?

Thanks and Best Regards
Elthox

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to kill top command using script?

Hi all, I am using top command in my script to redirect output to temp file. I used kill -9 `ps -ef|grep top|grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'` to kill top command in my script, but it is not working? Can you please tell how to kill top command in my script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnl
4 Replies

2. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with shell script - output of top command

I have written shell script to send file as an attachemt of email and output of "top -o res" command as email body. it works fine if i execute manually from prompt but it does not send "top -o res" command output in email body when it is executed via crontab. Any suggestions. My script is below:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: needyourhelp10
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a command line parameter in script

I have a simple script that builds a complex program call which passes a number of parameters to the program. I'm trying to enhance the script to include the value of the command line parameter in the name of a file being created. The problem I'm having is that the parameter may include a forward... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbmax626
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script - command line parameter

i am a beginner, i want to make a program that takes any command line arguments... and print it out in reverse. ie. if the command line argument is "thanks for helping me" i want it to output "me helping for thanks" :D i have tried using the reverse command, but i cant get it working!! ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to grep output from top command.

Hello, I want a script which would grep details from top command for specific processes. I m not sure of the PID of these processes but i know the names. $ top -c top - 16:41:55 up 160 days, 5:53, 2 users, load average: 9.36, 9.18, 8.98 Tasks: 288 total, 9 running, 279 sleeping, 0... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command that takes one parameter and then searches for the passed in parameter

Hi I am looking for a unix command or a small shell script which can takes one parameter and then searches for the passed in the parameter in any or all files under say /home/dev/ Can anyone please help me on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter to script, and split the parameter

i am passing input parameter 'one_two' to the script , the script output should display the result as below one_1two one_2two one_3two if then echo " Usage : <$0> <DATABASE> " exit 0 else for DB in 1 2 3 do DBname=`$DATABASE | awk -F "_" '{print $1_${DB}_$2}` done fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
5 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unable to pass shell script parameter value to awk command in side the same script

Variable I have in my shell script diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk -F'~' ''$2 == "$id"' {print $0}' > $new I could see value of $id is not passing to the awk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing shell script parameter value to awk command in side the script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sarita Behera
1 Replies
ETSF_IO(1)							   User Commands							ETSF_IO(1)

NAME
etsf_io - manual page for etsf_io SYNOPSIS
etsf_io [-h | -a action] [[-i file]...] [[-f flag]...] DESCRIPTION
[-o file] [arguments] Handle ETSF files, see --action option. -h --help : show this little help. -a --action value : give the action to perform. Possible action may be: * 'merge' to gather several files that have been splitted. * 'content' to get the name of specifications the file matches. * 'check' to check the validity of the file against specifications. -o --output-file file : give the path to the output ETSF file. -i --input-file file : give the path for an input file. This option can be used one or several times. -l --list : when action is check, it give the list of available flags.q -f --flag value : give a flag name (get valid names from -l option). Examples: Merge three files, etsf_io -a merge -i file1.nc -i file2.nc -i file3.nc -o output.nc Get the contents of file test.nc, etsf_io -a content test.nc Get the list of flags for validity checks, etsf_io -a check -l Checks with two flags, etsf_io -a check -f flag1 -f flag2 test.nc SEE ALSO
The full documentation for etsf_io is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and etsf_io programs are properly installed at your site, the command info etsf_io should give you access to the complete manual. etsf_io November 2011 ETSF_IO(1)