Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo to a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo to a file Post 302100830 by _Spare_Ribs_ on Friday 22nd of December 2006 10:05:55 PM
Old 12-22-2006
Just to follow on from my last post. You can redirect the standard output to /dev/null if you don't want the output to be displayed on the screen like in your original example by using the following code:

Code:
echo $number | tee -a file.txt &>/dev/null

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo to both screen and a file

Please help me to simplify my below script. #!/bin/bash LOG_FILE=/tmp/log.txt echo "Hello" echo "Hello" >> /tmp/log.txt Is there anyway, that I can echo "Hello" to both screen and file with one single echo command ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo Brackets from a file

I'm a beginner of c shell scripting. How I can echo a whole line from a file with bracket in it? Ex. Inside the file.txt abcd efghi This is what inside the c shell set IN_FILE = file.txt set GREP_KEY = 'abcd' set IN_LINE = `grep ${GREP_KEY} ${IN_FILE}` echo $IN_LINE After... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeahr
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Echo own file name

Hi, I tried to google this but still unable to find the right reseverd word to echo my own file name. Example, I have a script called mytest.sh. Inside mytest.sh, how do I echo its own file name? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngaisteve1
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Echo file name as header

I'm trying to create a header row that contains the filename of a file for all columns. e.g. file1.txt first middle last 1 2 3 4 5 6 desired output file should be: file1 file1 file1 first middle last 1 2 3 4 5 6 my code is: for file in *.txt; do echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calitiggr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo ls to a file and then read file and selectively delete

I'm trying to write a script that will do an ls of a location, echo it into a file, and then read that file and selectively delete files/folders, so it would go something like this: cd $CLEAN_LOCN ls >>$TMP_FILE while read LINE do if LINE = $DONTDELETE skip elseif LINE =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaureenT
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check for the file existence, if file exists it should echo the no of modified days

Hi, I am looking for a shell script with the following. 1. It should check whether a particular file exists in a location #!/bin/sh if ; then echo "xxx.txt File Exists" else echo "File Not Found" fi 2. If file exists, it should check for the modified date and run a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikeyan_mac
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help echo | sed > file

Hello, I am trying to build a very compact script for monitoring FS. I am stuck in a very simple problem (see code comment). Please for your help SERVER_NAME=`uname -n` SCRIPT_DIR=/export/home/scripts/fs_mon4 FLAG_DIR=${SCRIPT_DIR}/flags TEMP_DIR=${SCRIPT_DIR}/tmp FS="\/$"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo all numbers in file +/-1

I have a plain text file, 344 392 352 341 405 327 456 765 234 457 874 154 . . 301 356 789 554 I need a bash script or command (Solaris 10 or Fedora 18) that echos or prints each of the values alongside with the value PLUS ONE, and the value MINUS ONE. echo $value $value+1 $value-1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each line from input file, assign variables, and echo to output file?

I've got a file that looks like this (spaces before first entries intentional): 12345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 22345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 32345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN I want to read through the file line by line,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read specified value from file and echo to the same location to other file.

Hello. I want to to backup some "default:" values from a file do some other job and after restore that "default:" values back. The problem is that the source and destination file has a lot of default: strings in it but with different values... So.. Here is an example: A part of my source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ausdim
6 Replies
SUBSTR_COUNT(3) 							 1							   SUBSTR_COUNT(3)

substr_count - Count the number of substring occurrences

SYNOPSIS
int substr_count (string $haystack, string $needle, [int $offset], [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
substr_count(3) returns the number of times the $needle substring occurs in the $haystack string. Please note that $needle is case sensi- tive. Note This function doesn't count overlapped substrings. See the example below! PARAMETERS
o $haystack - The string to search in o $needle - The substring to search for o $offset - The offset where to start counting o $length - The maximum length after the specified offset to search for the substring. It outputs a warning if the offset plus the length is greater than the $haystack length. RETURN VALUES
This function returns an integer. CHANGELOG
+--------+-----------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+-----------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Added the $offset and the $length parameters | | | | +--------+-----------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A substr_count(3) example <?php $text = 'This is a test'; echo strlen($text); // 14 echo substr_count($text, 'is'); // 2 // the string is reduced to 's is a test', so it prints 1 echo substr_count($text, 'is', 3); // the text is reduced to 's i', so it prints 0 echo substr_count($text, 'is', 3, 3); // generates a warning because 5+10 > 14 echo substr_count($text, 'is', 5, 10); // prints only 1, because it doesn't count overlapped substrings $text2 = 'gcdgcdgcd'; echo substr_count($text2, 'gcdgcd'); ?> SEE ALSO
count_chars(3), strpos(3), substr(3), strstr(3). PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR_COUNT(3)