Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers .profile problem using set -o vi Post 302100692 by jimmyc on Thursday 21st of December 2006 02:53:06 PM
Old 12-21-2006
Shell is K shell
No error produced.

It doesn't appear to execuite the set -o vi command from the .profile. Once I'm at the command line set -o vi works just fine. I was hoping to set it up in the .profile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with .profile

I wanted to add /home/oracle/sql to my path so that from which ever directory i connect to sqlplus i should be able to source the .sql files sitting in /home/oracle/sql. Also, this is what i tried but it doenst work # Set up the search paths: export ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh2: .profile not set correctly

When logging into solaris box through ssh, my profile does not get set correctly and I'm presented with the default ksh prompt "$". When logging in through telnet, everything is set correctly. Is there a special profile that sshd runs? ssh2: F-Secure SSH 2.4.0 (build 15) on sparc-sun-solaris2.8 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with .profile

Hi, i am changing something in .profile file and then esc :wq!. when i do the cat i can see the changes. but to bring the .profile in memory i have to do . .profile.but it says error while doing that is . .profile ksh: .profile: not found. can any body help thanks in advance sam71 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam71
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set background/foreground color in .profile

I am using a telnet session (VT100) and need to modify my .profile so that it will set the color of the telnet session. I am not using Xterm (ie: can't use .Xdefaults). I am able to change the colors via menu's but need to preset in .profile. Is this possible??? Can't find anything at all on how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvella
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with .profile

I am trying to execute my .profile which has the path to oracle home. But when I execute it with the below command it says nothing and when I try to echo the ORACLE_HOME I am still in my home directory itself which means it didn't get executed. Please help how to make sure that .profile is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
6 Replies

6. Solaris

profile problem

for some reason my profile doesnt seem to be loading. here is some info $SHELL /sbin/sh $HOME / (yup, im running at root, its a VM and im using it to learn) created /.profile added something simple to test, PS1="test" logout and back in, open a terminal... prompt is still # ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrich523
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How do i permanently set bash profile??

Hi all, I don't want to enter below command on solaris every time. How do i permanently set this command on Solaris. I know that this operation is a piece of cake on redhat because there is a /etc/rc.local file on it. But Solaris ???? bash-3.00#export PS1="\e (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
2 Replies

8. AIX

How to make LOGNAME writeable? It is set as READONLY in .profile

LOGNAME variable is set as READONLY in .profile. I want to make it WRITEABLE so that I can modify the LOGNAME values programatically/throush shell programs. Thanks, Guru (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gurubbc
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set up newgrp on .profile?

Hello all, I am having an issue setting up an environment on .profile. I want to set up my .profile in that way that everytime I login to the host, it should automatically set up my group. I tried the folllowing but it doesn't work. It is on the solaris OS. HOSTNAME=$(hostname) if ] || ]... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pateltiger
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

"ksh: XYZ: parameter not set" in .profile

Hi, A very basic query. I am working on two different UNIX servers and I see different behaviours for my user id. This has to be a setting in the .profile, but I can't seem to find where :confused: So, in one server if I type echo $XYZDD (a random variable), I get a blank line with no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALDonP
2 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)