Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Shell Script fails with "can't connect to client" Post 302100543 by sseenu79 on Wednesday 20th of December 2006 09:47:09 AM
Old 12-20-2006
Hi blowtorch,

I appreciate your earliest response. I am running this script on the master server and this script doesn't depend on any clients because no media database is stored on clients. This script picks all frozen media from media database located on media servers and unfreezes them. We are using a dedicated backup lan and the connectivity between the master and media servers is perfectly working fine.

I am running this command as an ordinary user and hence I have used pbrun in my script. I have also tried running this script as a super user with my Unix admin help and it worked perfectly. As per my Unix admin this could be due to permissions. He suggested me using "while" loop instead of "for" loop in the script and this may resolve the issue(not sure) because "for" loop issues the commands parallely but "while" issues commands one at a time.

Appreciate your suggestions on this to run my script successfully.

Thanks in Advance,
Srinivas Rao S.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

#!/bin/sh script fails at StringA | tr "[x]" "[y]"

I need to take a string (stringA) check it for spaces and replace any spaces found with an equal (=) sign. This is not working. There are spaces between each component: $StringA | tr "" "" The error returned is: test: Specify a parameter with this command Can you help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: by_tg
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I connect a hpux10.x os machine to "the internet" via a WinXP client?

I am wondering how can I cross this technical border of my ignorance for quite sometime, 6 months to be more exact, and just don't get it quite. I did read some newbies' literatures on UNIX OS but could not find the key to unlock the HP workstations (OS dated 1997 maybe because the man page... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: liumx2000
0 Replies

4. Linux

Help req for...shell script to catch "db2 connect" errors ...

Hello friends, Assume that, I am trying to execute a "db2 connect" command from Linux shell prompt via a shell script called "sample" sample db2 connect to bas39 $sample If the database is not present its should display a custom error message by catching the error message given by db2.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Samba (SMB) client fails: "Called name not present"

Hi, I issue smbclient on a Linux REd hat server : smbclient -L ***.16.0.42 -U domaine/Administrator Password: Domain= OS= Server= Domain= OS= Server= Sharename Type Comment --------- ---- ------- IPC$ IPC IPC distant ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies

6. AIX

"too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script

Hi, This is odd, however here goes. There are several shell scripts that run in our production environment AIX 595 LPAR m/c, which has sufficient memory 14GB (physical memory) and horsepower 5CPUs. However from time to time we get the following errors in these shell scripts. The time when these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expect "interact" fails when called from another script

So, I have an expect script (let's call it expect.exp) that takes 3 arguments. It logs into a remote server, runs a set of commands, then hands control over to the user by the "interact" command. If I call this script from the command line, it works properly. Now I'd like to apply this script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script fails with "function: not found" error

Hello everyone, I am having problems figuring this out. This script below is supposed to create a list of file names with their "md5sum", in a file "lib-list.txt" When I run it "sh component-list.sh " I get this:component-list.sh: 4: component-list.sh: function: not found component-list.sh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joemb
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
nisserver(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisserver(1M)

NAME
nisserver - set up NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] [ -d NIS+_domain] [ -g NIS+_groupname] [-l network_passwd] /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -M [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] -d NIS+_domain [ -g NIS+_groupname] [ -h NIS+_server_host] /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R [-x] [-f] [-v] [-Y] [ -d NIS+_domain] [ -h NIS+_server_host] DESCRIPTION
The nisserver shell script can be used to set up a root master, non-root master, and replica NIS+ server with level 2 security (DES). If other authentication mechanisms are configured with nisauthconf(1M), nisserver will set up a NIS+ server using those mechanisms. nisauth- conf(1M) should be used before nisserver. When setting up a new domain, this script creates the NIS+ directories (including groups_dir and org_dir) and system table objects for the domain specified. It does not populate the tables. nispopulate(1M) must be used to populate the tables. OPTIONS
-d NIS+_domain Specifies the name for the NIS+ domain. The default is your local domain. -f Forces the NIS+ server setup without prompting for confirmation. -g NIS+_groupname Specifies the NIS+ group name for the new domain. This option is not valid with -R option. The default group is admin.<domain>. -h NIS+_server_host Specifies the hostname for the NIS+ server. It must be a valid host in the local domain. Use a fully qualified hostname (for example, hostx.xyz.sun.com.) to specify a host outside of your local domain. This option is only used for setting up non-root master or replica servers. The default for non-root master server setup is to use the same list of servers as the parent domain. The default for replica server setup is the local hostname. -l network_password Specifies the network password with which to create the credentials for the root master server. This option is only used for master root server setup (-r option). If this option is not specified, the script prompts you for the login password. -M Sets up the specified host as a master server. Make sure that rpc.nisd(1M) is running on the new master server before this command is executed. -R Sets up the specified host as a replica server. Make sure that rpc.nisd is running on the new replica server. -r Sets up the server as a root master server. Use the -R option to set up a root replica server. -v Runs the script in verbose mode. -x Turns the echo mode on. The script just prints the commands that it would have executed. Note that the commands are not actually executed. The default is off. -Y Sets up a NIS+ server with NIS-compatibility mode. The default is to set up the server without NIS-compatibility mode. USAGE
Use the first synopsis of the command (-r) to set up a root master server. To run the command, you must be logged in as super-user on the server machine. Use the second synopsis of the command (-M) to set up a non-root master server for the specified domain. To run the command, you must be logged in as a NIS+ principal on a NIS+ machine and have write permission to the parent directory of the domain that you are setting up. The new non-root master server machine must already be an NIS+ client (see nisclient(1M)) and have the rpc.nisd(1M) daemon running. Use the third synopsis of the command (-R) to set up a replica server for both root and non-root domains. To run the command, you must be logged in as a NIS+ principal on a NIS+ machine and have write permission to the parent directory of the domain that you are replicating. The new non-root replica server machine must already be an NIS+ client and have the rpc.nisd daemon running. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Setting up Servers To set up a root master server for domain sun.com.: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -r -d sun.com. For the following examples make sure that the new servers are NIS+ clients and that rpc.nisd is running on these hosts before executing nisserver. To set up a replica server for the sun.com. domain on host sunreplica: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R -d sun.com. -h sunrep To set up a non-root master server for domain xyz.sun.com. on host sunxyz with the NIS+ groupname as admin-mgr.xyz.sun.com.: root_server# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -M -d xyz.sun.com. -h sunxyz -g admin-mgr.xyz.sun.com. To set up a non-root replica server for domain xyz.sun.com. on host sunabc: sunxyz# /usr/lib/nis/nisserver -R -d xyz.sun.com. -h sunabc ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisgrpadm(1), nismkdir(1), nisaddcred(1M), nisauthconf(1M), nisclient(1M), nisinit(1M), nispopulate(1M), nisprefadm(1M), nis- setup(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 13 Dec 2001 nisserver(1M)