Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash env variable containing @ Post 302100462 by Yogesh Sawant on Wednesday 20th of December 2006 03:02:10 AM
Old 12-20-2006
pardon for the earlier confusion, i wish to have @yogesh@ as the name of the variable, not its value. is that possible in any way?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PWD env variable

Could you please tell me, which process / file is responsible for the setting of PWD env variable in Solaris Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chaandana
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Env Variable

Hi, I have a doubt on Environment variable. I want to know where and when the envirnment variables are defined? Thanks & Regards, Siba (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt on ENV variable

Question 1: If I set ENV=$HOME/myenvprofile.ksh, will my script get executed when ever I login to my with KSH. My doubt is we used to put this in .profile of our home directory. SO when ever I login will it executed? QUestion 2: If I set ENV=`echo "hi"` or 'echo "hi" ', what would be the output.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get env variable from last script

I have 2 scripts t2.sh calls t1.sh. I need to get the vaule of a env variable from t1.sh /tmp/test$ cat t1.sh #!/bin/sh INSTANCE="font/fc-cache" export INSTANCE svcadm disable ${INSTANCE} /tmp/test$ cat t2.sh #!/bin/sh . /tmp/test/t1.sh echo ${INSTANCE} The above works... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Env variable

Hello, I want to cange env variable on SunOS. I tried: export GONGA=$GONGA:/users/BANK1/basic/queues/SARON_SPACE1 it changed it only localy for my session. when i opened a new session (telnet etc') the old value exist. How can I change it to effact all sessions. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Importing env from csh to bash

Hi All, In my account with csh shell, there are lots of env variables set and I want to import those all to bash in one stroke, is there any way to do it ? Thanks, D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Deei
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Env variable in solaris

Hi, Am installing SAP on Solaris 10. How to set env variables permanently? Reg (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: daggupati453
0 Replies

8. Web Development

Deny from env=env-variable Does not work

(Above from Apache docs). On my system, using: SetEnvIf User-Agent Mozilla IsBad=1 Order allow,deny Allow from all Deny from env=IsBad ...I see that environment variable is set (using phpinfo()) but the page is still served. No errors in the Apache logs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnurob
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - ENV Variable context problem using su

Hello I have found some piece of code to verify and then run shell script with root permission from normal user. see : http://blog.mecworks.com/articles/2006/02/23/bash-scripting-tip-running-a-script-as-root I have wrote two scripts using this tips. - one to copy file from server to local... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Treat value of variable as env variable

Hi All, I have a requirement where I have a config file, which contains 2 coulmn.values of first column are environmnet variable, whose value is defined in an environment file. In my script I need to read the config file, and get the value of the config file variable from env file. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok2082
2 Replies
UNSET(P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							  UNSET(P)

NAME
unset - unset values and attributes of variables and functions SYNOPSIS
unset [-fv] name ... DESCRIPTION
Each variable or function specified by name shall be unset. If -v is specified, name refers to a variable name and the shell shall unset it and remove it from the environment. Read-only variables cannot be unset. If -f is specified, name refers to a function and the shell shall unset the function definition. If neither -f nor -v is specified, name refers to a variable; if a variable by that name does not exist, it is unspecified whether a func- tion by that name, if any, shall be unset. Unsetting a variable or function that was not previously set shall not be considered an error and does not cause the shell to abort. The unset special built-in shall support the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 12.2, Utility Syntax Guidelines. Note that: VARIABLE= is not equivalent to an unset of VARIABLE; in the example, VARIABLE is set to "" . Also, the variables that can be unset should not be mis- interpreted to include the special parameters (see Special Parameters ). OPTIONS
See the DESCRIPTION. OPERANDS
See the DESCRIPTION. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
Not used. STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
0 All name operands were successfully unset. >0 At least one name could not be unset. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Default. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
Unset VISUAL variable: unset -v VISUAL Unset the functions foo and bar: unset -f foo bar RATIONALE
Consideration was given to omitting the -f option in favor of an unfunction utility, but the standard developers decided to retain histori- cal practice. The -v option was introduced because System V historically used one name space for both variables and functions. When unset is used without options, System V historically unset either a function or a variable, and there was no confusion about which one was intended. A portable POSIX application can use unset without an option to unset a variable, but not a function; the -f option must be used. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
Special Built-In Utilities COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 UNSET(P)