Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Detecting a key combination
Top Forums Programming Detecting a key combination Post 302100143 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 17th of December 2006 08:10:55 AM
Old 12-17-2006
Let's try this again
1. all keystrokes go thru the tty driver. Period. If your driver interprets them they are interpreted BEFORE you program ever sees them. termios() can remove/add settings.

2. For 2 key ctrl sequences [A-Z] the terminal returns ASCII 1-26 (minus those interpreted by the driver as something else) ctrl-L is 12, ASCII form feed. There are other two-key sequences as well.

3. If you want to be able to create special responses to other key sequences like the function keys or alt key combinations you use the curses or ncurses library.

In general, if you want to play with single key combinations like a GUI does, you have to set the terminal to non-canonical mode. I've posted the code to do that on the forums several times - you can search for it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Disabling interrupt function of Control-C key combination

I am using informix RDBMS over SUSE LINUX. In linux if you press control-c it acts as an interrupt key. In my program I have used control-c to perform certain functions but it is being overriden by interrupt function of control-c key combination of SUSE LINUX. Kindly suggest me a solution by which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: V.V.KUMAR
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pressing backspace key simulates enter key

Hi, Whenever i press the backspace key, a new line appears, i.e. it works like a enter key. :confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting terminal with shortcut key combination

How can the shortcut keys be defined that would open up a terminal window? When using a kvm switch, the mouse sometimes does not work, but the keyboard does, and by opening up a terminal window using a shortcut key combination, the mouse can be restarted by entering the predefined mouserestart... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 ssh public key authentication issue - Server refused our key

Hi, I've used the following way to set ssh public key authentication and it is working fine on Solaris 10, RedHat Linux and SuSE Linux servers without any problem. But I got error 'Server refused our key' on Solaris 8 system. Solaris 8 uses SSH2 too. Why? Please help. Thanks. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting key combination in bash

I need to grab key combination from a bash script and store it in a variable. Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prism1
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

7. Programming

6 digits combination

Is there any program that can create 6 digit numbers with: (DIGIT_1)+(DIGIT_2)+(DIGIT_3)+(DIGIT_4)+(DIGIT_5)+(DIGIT_6)=10 Any perl or C also can. Anyone can help me? Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tzeronone
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combination of 6 nos

Hi folks, I have a numbers from 1-100 and from these nos I have 30 numbers.. From this 30 nos, I have to generate a combination of 6 nos... this 30 numbers will range from 1-100... ( FYI: This is not a lottery game - just kidding) ... I am trying out this in a shell script.. any ideas ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Kill -9 -1 combination

Good morning, In a Production environment ive seen this command that kills processes kill -9 -1 Because i am in a production environmet i can not execute this comamnd, so i would like to know what is the difference for the conventional kill -9 PID ? Thanks a lot (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
11 Replies
readkey(3alleg4)                                                  Allegro manual                                                  readkey(3alleg4)

NAME
readkey - Returns the next character from the keyboard buffer. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> int readkey(); DESCRIPTION
Returns the next character from the keyboard buffer, in ASCII format. If the buffer is empty, it waits until a key is pressed. You can see if there are queued keypresses with keypressed(). The low byte of the return value contains the ASCII code of the key, and the high byte the scancode. The scancode remains the same whatever the state of the shift, ctrl and alt keys, while the ASCII code is affected by shift and ctrl in the normal way (shift changes case, ctrl+letter gives the position of that letter in the alphabet, eg. ctrl+A = 1, ctrl+B = 2, etc). Pressing alt+key returns only the scan- code, with a zero ASCII code in the low byte. For example: int val; ... val = readkey(); if ((val & 0xff) == 'd') /* by ASCII code */ allegro_message("You pressed 'd' "); if ((val >> 8) == KEY_SPACE) /* by scancode */ allegro_message("You pressed Space "); if ((val & 0xff) == 3) /* ctrl+letter */ allegro_message("You pressed Control+C "); if (val == (KEY_X << 8)) /* alt+letter */ allegro_message("You pressed Alt+X "); This function cannot return character values greater than 255. If you need to read Unicode input, use ureadkey() instead. SEE ALSO
install_keyboard(3alleg4), ureadkey(3alleg4), keypressed(3alleg4), clear_keybuf(3alleg4), simulate_keypress(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 readkey(3alleg4)