Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract lines from a file automatically. Please a Help Post 302100111 by alexcol on Saturday 16th of December 2006 02:40:22 PM
Old 12-16-2006
Tools ok. im working with born shell, how the code woul be, since i dont know about korn

Thanks for yor reply, but in this script how the code will be in born shell.?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract specific lines from file

hi, how would i extract a range of lines in a file by using the line number? ex: file contains: 1 title 2 i want 3 this part 4 to be taken out 5 from this file 6 and sent to 7 another file 8 not needed 9 end of file In this case, i want to copy line number 2 to 7 on a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add lines automatically based on a field on another file

hello I have a number of lines that need to be added at the end of a file each time I add a field in another file (let's name it file2) file2 has this format: filed1:field2:path1:path2:path3:path... Whenever I add a path field, I should add to file1 these lines: <Location path1>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract particular lines from text file

I have two files file A which have a number in every row and file B which contains few hundred thousand rows with about 300 characters in each row (csv) What I need is to extract whole rows from B file (only these which numbers are indicated in A file) I also need to use cygwin. Any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunio
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script that will automatically extract

how do i write a script that will automatically extract rar files after the download in a particular folder? can you give me an idea please? :D or is there an existing script for this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garfish
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some lines from one file and add those lines to current file

hi, i have two files. file1.sh echo "unix" echo "linux" file2.sh echo "unix linux forums" now the output i need is $./file2.sh unix linux forums (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write bash script that will automatically extract zip file

i'm trying to write a bash script that that will automatically extract zip files after the download. i writed this script #!/bin/bash wget -c https://github.com/RonGokhle/kernel-downloader/zipball/master CURRENDIR=/home/kernel-downloader cd $CURRENDIR rm $CURRENDIR/zipfiles 2>/dev/null ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron gokhle
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract particular lines from a file

Hi all, I have a file with many records with information as given below ID A16L2_HUMAN Reviewed; 619 AA. AC Q8NAA4; A5PL30; B2RPK5; Q658V4; Q6PID3; Q8NBG0; DT 20-MAY-2008, integrated into UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot. DT 20-MAY-2008, sequence version 2. DT ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaav06
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract certain lines from a file?

Hi guys I have a several thousands line file in the following format: n817 -------------------------------------------------- n842 -------------------------------------------------- n877 -------------------------------------------------- n513 /bb/data/rmt2db.lrl:JBSKDB 31915 75... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines from a file

Hi all; Here is my file which contains a list of files (recent versions of files are in red). This file is dynamic, files versions can change at any time (versions can increment) filename ------------------------------------------------------- ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract lines that have entries in VI file

Dears experts i have UNIX file that contain 4 million lines , i need to extract all lines that have entiries saved in VI file , i have below comand but it takes tooooo long time : for i in `cat file1.csv`; do cat dump | grep -i $i >> file2.csv; done where : file1.csv = VI file that... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: is2_egypt
12 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)