Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux tar usage and delete/create username Post 302099360 by DeepakS on Monday 11th of December 2006 04:18:43 PM
Old 12-11-2006
1a. tar cjf test_var.tar /var
1b. tar czf test_var.tar /var

For bzip2 or gzip compression respectively.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I Create a New Username

Hi I am new at Unix and need to setup a username and password, I currently login as root and use the password saturn. I wish to change this password and create more.....help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimjones142001
7 Replies

2. AIX

command usage on find with xargs and tar

my task : tar up large bunch of files(about 10,000 files) in the current directories that created more than 30 days ago but it come with following error find ./ -ctime +30 | xargs tar rvf test1.tar tar: test1.tar: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkrainbow
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

tar says: cannot create

Hello, I'm quite new to HP-UX and I stumbeled upon some strange behaviour from tar. I have a script like this: find -mtime $days -type f|xargs tar cvf tarfile.tar and it make me a tar file with files that has been changed in $days. When i run 'tar tf tarfile.tar' it give me output like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oey2000
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar command usage

1. command tar cf abcd.tar *.prn There is no *.prn files in the path, eventhough it is creating the abcd.tar. Can anyone tell me how can i resolve this problem? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
2 Replies

7. AIX

Cannot delete a username

Hi experts! While I am deleting a username via smitty or by command line with userdel or rmuser y get the following error: Error committing changes to "luke" : Value is invalid. Also when adding a user I get the same error, do you know experts how to solve this issue? I'm using AIX 5.3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create Tar files

Hi, the folder /home/nandy/test will have two files called notepad1 nodepad2 when i issued /home/nandy/test> tar -cvf componse.tar ./notepad1 ./notepad2 and no error /home/nandy/test> tar -cvf nan.tar . --> this creates nan.tar with the below message nan.tar same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nandy
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create an incremental tar

Hello, I need to create a tar file with a list of files from a directory. The directory has about 1000+ files of which I only need to create a tar ball of 150 files. The 150 files I need in the tar ball do not have common names or a common start letter. No two file names match, example: 1st... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babyPen1985
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Tar ball

Hi Team, Following unix command is throwing error. Can anyone please help me to fix the issue? tar -cvf /aa/bb/cc/tarball1.tar /x/y/z1/abc.ksh /x/y/z2/pqr.txt /x/y/z3/lmn.tmp Error message thrown: tar: Removing leading `/' from member names OS: uname -a Linux xyz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies