Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Eliminate first line of multiple files Post 302098987 by Ygor on Thursday 7th of December 2006 06:58:34 PM
Old 12-07-2006
Or...
Code:
awk 'FNR>1' file*.trf > outfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script help to eliminate files of todays date

Hi I am very new to shell scripting and have written a script (below). However the directory I am searching will contain a file with a .trn extension each day which I want to eliminate. Each day the file extension overnight will change to trx, if this fails I want to know. Basically what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richM
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to view last line of multiple files

Dear All, can anybody help me out in generating a command that can be used to view the last line of multiples files. e.g: file 1 contains 100 records file 2 contains 200 records file 3 contails 300 records now i need a command that can be used to display the last line of each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files with first line of content

Hi , I want to rename multiple files with their first line bar the first character + the extension .qual. For the example below the filename should read 7180000000987.qual. I have trawled through different threads for 2 days and I don't seem to find anything I can adopt for this task :confused: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruno
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk, extract last line of multiple files

Hi, I have a directory full of *.txt files. I would like to print the last line of every file to screen. I know you can use FNR for printing the first line of each file, but how do I access the last line of each file? This code doesn't work, it only prints the last line of the last file:BEGIN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eliminate double void line

Hi, I need to eliminate each second void line in a text file. novus MILLENNIO ineo frater in episcopatus , presbyter et diacon|diaconus , (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjomba
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to eliminate files .rlogin

Hi guys, I'm try making to script for eliminate files rlogins. path1='/home/*' for i in `cat /etc/passwd |awk -F: '{print $6}'`; do if test "$i" = "$path1"; then echo $i cd $i if ; then echo "$i/.rhosts detectado"|mail -s "rhosts" root ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: nena_redbalon
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert filename into each line of multiple files

I need to insert <filename + comma> into each line of multiple files. Any idea how to script that? Regards, Manu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux.yahoo
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to change common line from multiple files

Hi everyone, I've a requirement to modify an existing line which is common to multiple files. I need to replace that existing line with a new line. I've almost 900 ksh files to edit in the similar fashion in the same directory. Example: Existing Line: . $HOME/.eff.env (notice the "." at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaleem.adil
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert a line into multiple files

HI All, I want to know if it is possible to print the same message but into 2 different files in the same command? Something like . .. ... echo "Text" >> file1 && file2 this is because i creating a script which i use a log but i don't want to duplicate lines of command just to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lordseiya
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies
hex(3trf)                                                                                                                                hex(3trf)

NAME
hex - Encoding "hex" SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl ?8.2? package require Trf ?2.1.3? hex ?options...? ?data? DESCRIPTION
The command hex is one of several data encodings provided by the package trf. See trf-intro for an overview of the whole package. This encoding transforms every byte in the input into a sequence of 2 characters containing the hexadecimal representation of the byte. For example % hex -mode encode Z 5A hex ?options...? ?data? -mode encode|decode This option has to be present and is always understood by the encoding. For immediate mode the argument value specifies the operation to use. For an attached encoding it specifies the operation to use for writing. Reading will automatically use the reverse operation. See section IMMEDIATE versus ATTACHED for explana- tions of these two terms. Beyond the argument values listed above all unique abbreviations are recognized too. Encode converts from arbitrary (most likely binary) data into the described representation, decode does the reverse . -attach channel The presence/absence of this option determines the main operation mode of the transformation. If present the transformation will be stacked onto the channel whose handle was given to the option and run in attached mode. More about this in section IMMEDIATE versus ATTACHED. If the option is absent the transformation is used in immediate mode and the options listed below are recognized. More about this in section IMMEDIATE versus ATTACHED. -in channel This options is legal if and only if the transformation is used in immediate mode. It provides the handle of the channel the data to transform has to be read from. If the transformation is in immediate mode and this option is absent the data to transform is expected as the last argument to the transformation. -out channel This options is legal if and only if the transformation is used in immediate mode. It provides the handle of the channel the generated transformation result is written to. If the transformation is in immediate mode and this option is absent the generated data is returned as the result of the com- mand itself. IMMEDIATE VERSUS ATTACHED
The transformation distinguishes between two main ways of using it. These are the immediate and attached operation modes. For the attached mode the option -attach is used to associate the transformation with an existing channel. During the execution of the com- mand no transformation is performed, instead the channel is changed in such a way, that from then on all data written to or read from it passes through the transformation and is modified by it according to the definition above. This attachment can be revoked by executing the command unstack for the chosen channel. This is the only way to do this at the Tcl level. In the second mode, which can be detected by the absence of option -attach, the transformation immediately takes data from either its com- mandline or a channel, transforms it, and returns the result either as result of the command, or writes it into a channel. The mode is named after the immediate nature of its execution. Where the data is taken from, and delivered to, is governed by the presence and absence of the options -in and -out. It should be noted that this ability to immediately read from and/or write to a channel is an historic artifact which was introduced at the beginning of Trf's life when Tcl version 7.6 was current as this and earlier versions have trouble to deal with characters embedded into either input or output. SEE ALSO
ascii85, base64, bin, hex, oct, otp_words, quoted-printable, trf-intro, uuencode KEYWORDS
bin, encoding, hex, oct COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-2003, Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> Trf transformer commands 2.1.3 hex(3trf)