Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Eliminate first line of multiple files Post 302098965 by Corona688 on Thursday 7th of December 2006 02:31:12 PM
Old 12-07-2006
Much easier with pipes than perl:
Code:
# Print a list of files with 'find', feed it into while loop.
# For each filename, open file, read and discard first line,
# print rest of file, while redirecting all output into 'output'
find ./ -iname 'file2006*' |
        while read FILE
        do
                ( read LINE ; cat ) < "${FILE}"
        done > output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script help to eliminate files of todays date

Hi I am very new to shell scripting and have written a script (below). However the directory I am searching will contain a file with a .trn extension each day which I want to eliminate. Each day the file extension overnight will change to trx, if this fails I want to know. Basically what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richM
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to view last line of multiple files

Dear All, can anybody help me out in generating a command that can be used to view the last line of multiples files. e.g: file 1 contains 100 records file 2 contains 200 records file 3 contails 300 records now i need a command that can be used to display the last line of each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files with first line of content

Hi , I want to rename multiple files with their first line bar the first character + the extension .qual. For the example below the filename should read 7180000000987.qual. I have trawled through different threads for 2 days and I don't seem to find anything I can adopt for this task :confused: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruno
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk, extract last line of multiple files

Hi, I have a directory full of *.txt files. I would like to print the last line of every file to screen. I know you can use FNR for printing the first line of each file, but how do I access the last line of each file? This code doesn't work, it only prints the last line of the last file:BEGIN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eliminate double void line

Hi, I need to eliminate each second void line in a text file. novus MILLENNIO ineo frater in episcopatus , presbyter et diacon|diaconus , (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjomba
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to eliminate files .rlogin

Hi guys, I'm try making to script for eliminate files rlogins. path1='/home/*' for i in `cat /etc/passwd |awk -F: '{print $6}'`; do if test "$i" = "$path1"; then echo $i cd $i if ; then echo "$i/.rhosts detectado"|mail -s "rhosts" root ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: nena_redbalon
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert filename into each line of multiple files

I need to insert <filename + comma> into each line of multiple files. Any idea how to script that? Regards, Manu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux.yahoo
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to change common line from multiple files

Hi everyone, I've a requirement to modify an existing line which is common to multiple files. I need to replace that existing line with a new line. I've almost 900 ksh files to edit in the similar fashion in the same directory. Example: Existing Line: . $HOME/.eff.env (notice the "." at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaleem.adil
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert a line into multiple files

HI All, I want to know if it is possible to print the same message but into 2 different files in the same command? Something like . .. ... echo "Text" >> file1 && file2 this is because i creating a script which i use a log but i don't want to duplicate lines of command just to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lordseiya
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies
SHASUM(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 SHASUM(1)

NAME
shasum - Print or Check SHA Checksums SYNOPSIS
Usage: shasum [OPTION]... [FILE]... Print or check SHA checksums. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. -a, --algorithm 1 (default), 224, 256, 384, 512, 512224, 512256 -b, --binary read in binary mode -c, --check read SHA sums from the FILEs and check them -p, --portable read files in portable mode produces same digest on Windows/Unix/Mac -t, --text read in text mode (default) The following two options are useful only when verifying checksums: -s, --status don't output anything, status code shows success -w, --warn warn about improperly formatted checksum lines -h, --help display this help and exit -v, --version output version information and exit When verifying SHA-512/224 or SHA-512/256 checksums, indicate the algorithm explicitly using the -a option, e.g. shasum -a 512224 -c checksumfile The sums are computed as described in FIPS-180-4. When checking, the input should be a former output of this program. The default mode is to print a line with checksum, a character indicating type (`*' for binary, ` ' for text, `?' for portable), and name for each FILE. Report shasum bugs to mshelor@cpan.org DESCRIPTION
Running shasum is often the quickest way to compute SHA message digests. The user simply feeds data to the script through files or standard input, and then collects the results from standard output. The following command shows how easy it is to compute digests for typical inputs such as the NIST test vector "abc": perl -e "print qq(abc)" | shasum Or, if you want to use SHA-256 instead of the default SHA-1, simply say: perl -e "print qq(abc)" | shasum -a 256 Since shasum mimics the behavior of the combined GNU sha1sum, sha224sum, sha256sum, sha384sum, and sha512sum programs, you can install this script as a convenient drop-in replacement. AUTHOR
Copyright (c) 2003-2011 Mark Shelor <mshelor@cpan.org>. SEE ALSO
shasum is implemented using the Perl module Digest::SHA or Digest::SHA::PurePerl. perl v5.14.2 2014-09-30 SHASUM(1)