Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search file, change existing value based on input (awk help) Post 302098679 by blackangelbb on Wednesday 6th of December 2006 12:35:09 AM
Old 12-06-2006
you are trying to save output to replace the existing status.file?

tail data.file | awk -f adjust_results.awk > status.sfile

redirect the output to status.file

(not sure if that's what you're looking for ? ) =)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i change the date of an existing file

Hi, Plz suggest me how can i change the date of a file. Suppose my file has been created in some date and i want to give it present date. How can i do this???? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a csv file based on Existing file

Hi I am Newbie to Unix.Appreciate Help from forum user would loada b.Csv File(Below example) in /data/m/ directory.Program need to read the b.csc to extract certain column and create a new file /data/d/ directory as csv file with new name. User File Format 1232,samshouston,12345... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skywayterrace
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change in Input feed based on condition file

Sorry Guys for not being able to explain in one of my earlier post. I am now putting my requirement with the input file and desired output file. In the below input file - Transaction code is at position 31:40. Business code is from position 318:321 TSCM00000005837 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunrbs
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate a file from existing file based on some rule

Hi guys, i have a file in below format.let me explain first what i am trying to do . i am making a file from this file , will rearrange these columns, then i will run several command(start/stop mentioned in this file) on unix environment. my requirements : 1. i have 27 servers , on each server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakiniimt
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search on date range of file based on user input

Hello I would like to ask for help with a script to search a directory that contains many log files and based on a users input after being prompted, they enter a date range down to the hour which searches the files that contain that range. I dont know how to go about this. I am hoping that the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to search file based off user input then create new file

In the below bash a file is downloaded when the program is opened and then that file is searched based on user input and the result is written to a new file. For example, the bash is opened and the download.txt is downloaded, the user then enters the id (NA04520). The id is used to search... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change date time stamp of existing file

I have a file hello.txt which was created today (today's date timestamp) I wish to change its date timestamp (access, modified, created) to 1 week old i.e one week from now. uname -a SunOS mymac 5.11 11.2 sun4v sparc sun4v Can you please suggest a easy way to do that ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create file and file content based existing information?

Hi Gurus, I am SQL developer and new unix user. I need to create some file and file content based on information in two files. I have one file contains basic information below file1 and another exception file file2. the rule is if "zone' and "cd" in file1 exists in file2, then file name is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torhong
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to search based on 5 user input fields

Field1=”” Field2=”” Field3=”” Field4=”” Field5=”” USER INPUT UP TO 5 FIELDS awk -F , '{ if ( $3 == Field1 && $6 == Field2 && $8 == Field3 && $9 == Field4 && $10 == Field5) print $0 }' /tmp/rodney.outD INPUT FILE (Rodney.outD): ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmerrird
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change contents of field based on condition in same file

In the awk below I am trying to copy the entire contents of $6 there may be multiple values seperated by a ;, to $8, if $8 is . (lines 1 and 3 are examples). If that condition $8 is not . (line2 is an example) then that line is skipped and printed as is. The awk does execute but prints the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
TZSELECT(8)						    Linux System Administration 					       TZSELECT(8)

NAME
tzselect - select a timezone SYNOPSIS
tzselect DESCRIPTION
The tzselect program asks the user for information about the current location, and outputs the resulting timezone description to standard output. The output is suitable as a value for the TZ environment variable. All interaction with the user is done via standard input and standard error. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is zero if a timezone was successfully obtained from the user, nonzero otherwise. ENVIRONMENT
AWK Name of a Posix-compliant awk program (default: awk). TZDIR Name of the directory containing timezone data files (default: /usr/share/zoneinfo). FILES
TZDIR/iso3166.tab Table of ISO 3166 2-letter country codes and country names. TZDIR/zone.tab Table of country codes, latitude and longitude, TZ values, and descriptive comments. TZDIR/TZ Time zone data file for timezone TZ. SEE ALSO
tzfile(5), zdump(8), zic(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2007-05-18 TZSELECT(8)