Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change a Unix IP address
Special Forums IP Networking Change a Unix IP address Post 302098648 by Darwin_ on Tuesday 5th of December 2006 03:58:38 PM
Old 12-05-2006
Quote:
The old Sun systems running SunOS just had 2 files.
/etc/hosts
/etc/hostname.{interface} ie: /etc/hostname/hme0
On Solaris 10 it has /etc/inet/ipnodes in addition. Dunno DEC quite well.

Darwin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

change my current IP address

Dear All , I have Sun Solaris 8 machine . during installation i gave the machine ip address 192.168.0.50 and gatway 192.168.0.1 . now i hvae to change the IP address and the gateway ! how ?? i know i have to use ifconfig , but how can i change it and the gateway ??? also where from i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to change IP address

Can anyone tell me how to change the IP address on a unix server, as I have no idea whatsoever. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itservices
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change from address in mailx

Hi, i am sending mails regulary for updation of data. The from addresses dispaly like POP.RECH@skk182.com i want display like oracle@skk182.com can u help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to change the email from address?

Hi Friends, I am facing one issue with my hpux server. I used to send mail from the hpux server directly to the customer id. By default the from address includes the complete hostname(eg:- user1@hostname.domain.com). My domain name is registered, but this individual hostname is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arumon
1 Replies

5. AIX

System email address change?

With a recent move to a new data center, the domain for our system emails have changed. We used automated emails with our daily process for informational and report sending. I edited the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file where it had an entry pointing to the old mail server so I change this to our new... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
3 Replies

6. Programming

[C] Change IP and MAC address

Hello, I need to write a program using C language which allow me to change the IP and MAC addresses of a given interface... Now I fork the process and by exec I'm using the "ifconfig interf X.X.X.X" command... but i can't use this solution because i have to avoid the context switch... Can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilby985
4 Replies

7. Debian

How to change local IP address?

I have a new Ethernet device that has a default IP address on a different subnet and need to change it. I have a Debian 6.0 host connected to the device with a crossover cable and have changed the host /etc/hosts and /etc/networks files to the same subnet as the new device and rebooted. Ping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
2 Replies

8. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Change email address

How can I change email address registered with my unix.com account (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i change the ip address in RHEL 6?

I need to change the ip address in RHEL 6 . Please tell me the files to be edited....complete procedure.......... Don't tell the graphical method ........ Explain everything in CLI ........... Thanks in Advance:b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
3 Replies

10. IP Networking

Cannot change mac address

ubuntu / xubuntu 13.10 and 14.04 (this issue should exist in debian as well) I use wifi to connect to internet. I would like to change the wifi card mac address before connecting. Let's call the original mac address, macA, and the new mac address, macB. I do the following: ifconfig wlan0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arpagon
2 Replies
NETWORK_NAMESPACES(7)					     Linux Programmer's Manual					     NETWORK_NAMESPACES(7)

NAME
network_namespaces - overview of Linux network namespaces DESCRIPTION
Network namespaces provide isolation of the system resources associated with networking: network devices, IPv4 and IPv6 protocol stacks, IP routing tables, firewall rules, the /proc/net directory (which is a symbolic link to /proc/PID/net), the /sys/class/net directory, various files under /proc/sys/net, port numbers (sockets), and so on. In addition, network namespaces isolate the UNIX domain abstract socket namespace (see unix(7)). A physical network device can live in exactly one network namespace. When a network namespace is freed (i.e., when the last process in the namespace terminates), its physical network devices are moved back to the initial network namespace (not to the parent of the process). A virtual network (veth(4)) device pair provides a pipe-like abstraction that can be used to create tunnels between network namespaces, and can be used to create a bridge to a physical network device in another namespace. When a namespace is freed, the veth(4) devices that it contains are destroyed. Use of network namespaces requires a kernel that is configured with the CONFIG_NET_NS option. SEE ALSO
nsenter(1), unshare(1), clone(2), veth(4), proc(5), sysfs(5), namespaces(7), user_namespaces(7), brctl(8), ip(8), ip-address(8), ip- link(8), ip-netns(8), iptables(8), ovs-vsctl(8) Linux 2018-02-02 NETWORK_NAMESPACES(7)