Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting rules on a text section Post 302098560 by Indalecio on Tuesday 5th of December 2006 04:25:52 AM
Old 12-05-2006
For your info, the above command took 40 minutes to make the job, which is not acceptable.

I came to another solution, check this out:
Code:
gawk 'BEGIN {FS="|";blockREC3="N"}{if ($1 == "REC3"){if (blockREC3 == "Y"){j++;ind[j]=$0} else {blockREC3="Y";j=1;ind[j\
]=$0} } else {if (blockREC3 == "Y") {blockREC3="N";n=asort(ind);for (i = 1; i <= n; i++) {print ind[i]}}; print $0}}' $1 > outp\
ut.tmp

I was trying to find something that awk could do, unfortunately the asort command is only supported by the gawk version. So I haven't tested it since I need to install gawk first. But I think this may save a lot of time.

EDIT: I tested it, it took 2 sec Smilie

Last edited by Indalecio; 12-05-2006 at 05:40 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i extract text section via grep

hi, i have a very long text file. i need to extract with grep command a certain part. for example text file include 1ooo rows: 1.... 2... 3... . . . 1000 i want to view with grep only rows 50-100. any ideas will be appreciated thanks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: meny
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a text file

In unix how to sort in reverse order based on second field in a text file. $ cat data1 David:501 Albie:503 Shaun:502 The expected output: Albie:503 Shaun:502 David:501 Please help :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jon2ryhme
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting based on a specified column in a text file

I have a tab delimited file with 5 columns 79 A B 20.2340 6.1488 8.5086 1.3838 87 A B 0.1310 0.0382 0.0054 0.1413 88 A B 46.1651 99.0000 21.8107 0.2203 89 A B 0.1400 0.1132 0.0151 0.1334 114 A B 0.1088 0.0522 0.0057 0.1083 115 A B... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Problem in sorting a text file

Hi; I have a text file like this: 1 10 11 2 3 4 M X Y When I sort it numerically using sort -n, it looks like this: Y X M 1 2 3 4 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting arrays horizontally without END section, awk

input: ref001, Europe, Belgium, 1001 ref001, Europe, Spain, 203 ref001, Europe, Germany, 457 ref002, America, Canada, 234 ref002, America, US, 87 ref002, America, Alaska, 652 Without using an END section, I need to write all the info related to the same ref number ($1)and continent ($2) on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text from within a section of text using AWK

I have a command which returns the below output. How can I write a script to extract mainhost and secondhost from this output and put it into an array? I may sometimes have more hosts like thirdhost. I am redirecting this output to a variable. So I guess there should be a awk or sed command to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: heykiran
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep text and see all section

Hello I am looking for a way to look in files and to grep text and see the all section of the text ! Sharon123 deed 10000 class 360 ! sharon456 2000 deed ! Sharon789 live 3000 ! To grep "deed "an see the all section (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharong
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting indented text files

Hello, I'm trying to find a solution or a proper tool for the following job: I need to sort a text document with indented sections, so all levels of indentation are sorted independently for each section. Particularly, I need this for Cisco routers' running config files to compare them with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobel
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sorting blocks by a section of the identifier

I have a file that should be sorted by a string (shown in red in my example below) in the identifier. The RS is ^@M0, something like this: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCAGAAGCAGCAT... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
16 Replies
SHANTY(1)							      Shanty								 SHANTY(1)

NAME
Shanty - Makes a PostScript file from an image and some text. SYNOPSIS
shanty -i image_file [-t text_file] [-o output_file] [-s paper_size] [-d density] [-m margin] [-b background_color] [-x padding] [-n title] [-l orientation] [-rtl] [-btt] [-f font_name] [-altgd] DESCRIPTION
Shanty takes a text file and an image (PNG or JPG) and creates a PostScript file where one pixel in the image becomes one character in the PostScript. OPTIONS
-i, -image Name of the image to load in. JPG and PNG images are supported. This is the only compulsory field. -t, -text Name of the text file to load in, if omitted STDIN is used. -o, -output Name of the PostScript file to produce, if omitted STDOUT is used. -s, -size Size of the paper to work with. This field should be one of: "a0", "a2", "a3", "a4", "a5", "a6", "letter", "broadsheet", "ledger", "tabloid", "legal", "executive" and "36x36". Default is "a4". -d, -density Density of the text. Higher numbers are more dense, default is 1.4. -m, -margin The margins of the page in cm. Default is 1. -b, -background The colour of a backing rectangle to place behind the text. Colours are specified as "R,G,B" with each value between 0 and 255. "off" means no backing colour. Default is "off". -x, -p, -padding Density of the text. Higher numbers are more dense, default is 1.4. -n, -title The title of the output to write as meta-data in the PostScript file. Default is "Shanty output". -l, -orientation The orientation of the paper, can be "portrait", "landscape" or "auto". Default is "auto". -rtl Switch to right-to-left text. -btt Switch to bottom-to-top text. -f, -font Specify font. The font name specified must be visible to the not just make a font magically appear. Default is "Courier-Bold". -altgd If you have problems loading the GD library, try this switch. HOMEPAGE
<http://www.codebunny.org/coding/shanty/> AUTHOR
Duncan Martin <duncan@codebunny.org> ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Many thanks to DFB <http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~dfb/> and contributors to comp.lang.postscript. Duncan Martin 6 October 2006 SHANTY(1)