Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Should I learn UML 2.0?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Should I learn UML 2.0? Post 302098516 by cbkihong on Monday 4th of December 2006 05:12:01 PM
Old 12-04-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Van
This might be a subjective question, but is software engineering encapsulated within software development or are they separate disciplines?
That sounds a good question to me. Not totally sure whether my understanding is correct (then I will need to scour for those dust-covered software engineering textbooks for that), but here is my interpretation of some terminologies:

- Programming is the action of assembling instructions to realize some desired functionality, the exact instructions and syntax of which depending on the language and environment involved.

- Software development is a process which spans the entire software lifecycle, in which some software is built as deliverables as part of the process. Programming is the most important part of the process, but is just one part of the process. Planning, testing etc. are also part of the software development process. Post-development such as customer support, post-development reviews and maintenance are usually considered part of the software lifecycle, and thus should be considered part of the software development process as well.

- Software engineering refers to the application of engineering principles to the software development process, to result in software whose functionalities meeting the prescribed specifications, whose quality can be objectively quantized, and development costs can be within budget. It is just like the process of constructing a house. You won't leave until you have started the process and find that the bricks cannot support the walls. For software, identically, some engineering planning process precedes the implementation stage to ensure that the process may result in software that is implemented correctly, on time and within budget.

So software engineering is usually seen as a more "scientific" or "systematic" means to build software, as opposed to a more ad-hoc fashion as amateur developers usually do.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to Learn About HP-UX

can someone give me the link to any site that deals on HP-UX system administration?? Please do not refer me to buy or borrow any books, i just need a free site to learn some quick info from (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to learn!

Hiya, yes im new to all of this! But want to learn how to use Unix etc, iv been thinking about doin a course but desided im better off learning by my self with help from the people who really no what there doin...you guys! I can install Linux, like redhat, mandrake, susie server edition and so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: epic.admin
5 Replies

3. Programming

Learn C or C++

Hi, Apologies if this question has been asked before. I would like to know which language is better to learn in terms of programming in unix? is C dying out and being replaced by C++ or is it a combination of the 2 or just mainly C? Thanks C19 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UML on MAC OSX

Hey guyz, Is it possible to build user-mode linux kernel on MAC OSX? Please I need a reply asap as I have an assignment that I need to do. Thanks! Adel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aje02
1 Replies
ANKI(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   ANKI(1)

NAME
anki - flashcard program for language learning DESCRIPTION
Anki is a program designed to help you remember facts (such as words and phrases in a foreign language) as easily, quickly and efficiently as possible. To do this, it tracks how well you remember each fact, and uses that information to optimally schedule review times. With a minimal amount of effort, you can greatly increase the amount of material you remember, making study more productive, and more fun. Anki is based on a theory called spaced repetition. In simple terms, it means that each time you review some material, you should wait longer than last time before reviewing it again. This maximizes the time spent studying difficult material and minimizes the time spent reviewing things you already know. The concept is simple, but the vast majority of memory trainers and flashcard programs out there either avoid the concept all together, or implement inflexible and suboptimal methods that were originally designed for pen and paper. Anki's primary target is people studying Japanese, and Japanese native speakers studying English. However, it can be used to remember any- thing at all, and there are some users who are studying Chinese and possibly other languages with it. OPTIONS
anki does not take command line options. Its interface is entirely graphical. SEE ALSO
Anki home page: <http://ichi2.net/anki/index.html> Community support thread: <http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=556&p=1> AUTHOR
anki was written by Damien Elmes <anki@ichi2.net>. This manual page was written by Nicholas Breen <nbreen@ofb.net>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). August 11, 2007 ANKI(1)