Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pclose returning -1
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users pclose returning -1 Post 302098178 by jim mcnamara on Friday 1st of December 2006 06:18:43 AM
Old 12-01-2006
What shell command(s) does popen execute?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning value from sqlplus

Hi, I need to return one value from sqlplus to UNIX environment. Can anyone give me an example? i.e. select username from v$session where sid=15; This query will return username value which I require in UNIX after exiting from sqlplus. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP not returning CR

Hi all, I have a mainframe file which i am ftping to unix box. even though i have three records in my mainframe file the file on unix is coming as a single record. Can you help me out. Thanks, Hari (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harikiranr
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning the name of function used

Hi All In my script, I can call on several functions. I have a logging function that is called by any of these functions. What I would like is some way of identifying which function I am using and pass this to the log function as some parameter. Is there some built in command or way of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

ps-eo returning wrong value

Hi Need some help, bit of a noobie here. This command work perfectly with unix. returns a value of 1 which is what i want. ps -eo user,comm |grep -v grep |grep -c /path to file When i run the same command on a linux server it returns a value of 0., something maybe wrong with the command.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wneutt
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

popen and pclose solved

Hi I am trying to use popen function with wrtie option to give inputs to ftp command. #include "stdio.h" int main(int argv ,char *argc) { int size=0; char *buf; FILE *fp; fp = popen("ftp","w"); while(getline(&buf,&size,stdin) != -1) write(fp,buf);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
0 Replies

6. Programming

how exactly does pclose work in C?

If i have the pointer to the pipe, which is given to pclose, what exactly does pclose do with it? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning -ve value in a pattern

Dear Friends, I need your help once more. I want to write a simple select as follows select amount from books where sr=1234 However, if value of "Amount" is negative then it should print it as follows. "3000-" and not as "-3000" Can you help me in this? Waiting for reply Anu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script returning 0

hello i write a script which calculate free space but he always is 0 thats wrong with my script? getFileSystemPerformanceData() { if ; then if grep -q "Ubuntu" /etc/issue ; then CMD="df -lP | grep -v "\/home" | grep -v "\/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root"" elif grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: donatas1234
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not returning from a sub script?

My problem in brief is that I execute a script from another script and I can not pick up the return code from that script, or otherwise I am not returning from that script. I have an echo in the executed script and we get a response code of 0 and exit that script with the return code. I then try to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Charles Swart
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Returning to the forum

hey guys, Im back! I hadnt thought about yall in a long time. I was googling away this morning and found a solution I needed from unix.com. good to see yall are still here and going strong! Im working as a Bladelogic Automation Engineer and have been doing HP and BMC server automation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
0 Replies
explain_popen_or_die(3) 				     Library Functions Manual					   explain_popen_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_popen_or_die - process I/O and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/popen.h> FILE *explain_popen_or_die(const char *command, const char *flags); DESCRIPTION
The explain_popen_or_die function is used to call the popen(3) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from explain_popen(3), and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: FILE *fp = explain_popen_or_die(command, flags); command The command, exactly as to be passed to the popen(3) system call. flags The flags, exactly as to be passed to the popen(3) system call. Returns: This function only returns on success, see popen(3) for more information. On failure, prints an explanation and exits. SEE ALSO
popen(3) process I/O explain_popen(3) explain popen(3) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2009 Peter Miller explain_popen_or_die(3)