Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar 2GB limit
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory tar 2GB limit Post 302098099 by SLKRR on Thursday 30th of November 2006 03:35:02 PM
Old 11-30-2006
Network tar 2GB limit

Any idea how to get around this limit? I have a 42GB database backup file (.dmp) taking up disk space because neither tar nor cpio are able to put it onto a tape. I am on a SUN Solaris using SunOS 5.8. I would appreciate whatever help can be provided. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SUN Solaris 9 - Is there a 2GB file size limit?

Hi I am using SUN/Solaris 9 and I was told that some unix versions have 2GB size limit. Does this applies to SUN/Solaris 9? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cpio - files > 2gb

Hi, Currently a backup script copies compressed files to tape using cpio command (on AIX 5.2). Recently we've had a compressed file which has gone over 2 GB in size resulting in an error while copying this file onto the tape using cpio. Any suggestions on relevant workarounds would be much... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

4. Linux

Compress files >2GB

Hi folks, I'm trying to compress a certain number of files from a cifs mount to a xfs mount, but cannot do it when the total size of the files is bigger than 2GB. Is there any limitation for above 2GB? OS is SLES 64bit The files are maximum 1MB, so there are aprox. 2000 files to compress... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavix
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a file more than 2GB

Hi, I am executing a SQL query and the output is more than 2GB. Hence the process is failing. How can I have a file created more than 2GB ? Thanks, Risshanth (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: risshanth
1 Replies

6. AIX

Tar files larger than 2GB

Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to tar files larger than 2GB? The reason being is they want me to dump a single file (which is around 20GB) to a tape drive and they will restore it on a Solaris box. I know the tar have a limitation of 2GB so I am thinking of a way how to overcome this.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

2GB file size limit

Greetings, I'm attempting to dump a filesystem from a RHEL5 Linux server to a VXFS filesystem on an HP-UX server. The VXFS filesystem is large file enabled and I've confirmed that I can copy/scp a file >2GB to the filesystem. # fsadm -F vxfs /os_dumps largefiles # mkfs -F vxfs -m... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkimura
12 Replies

9. Solaris

Limit: stacksize: Can't remove limit

Hi all, I'm using to Solaris machine. When I run a simple script this messenger come out:"limit: stacksize: Can't remove limit". Any one know the way to resolve this problem without reboot the machine? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diabolist9
3 Replies

10. Solaris

zip -r <directory> failing due to 2GB limit - Just asking opinion

Hi, Am trying to run zip -r on a 2.4G directory and it is failing with the error below. I believe this is because of the 2G limit of the zip program. server101(oper01)/u01/temp$: date Thu Mar 15 12:53:44 NZDT 2012 server101(oper01)/u01/temp$: ls -l total 8 drwxr-x--x 4 oracle dba ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
updadmin(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       updadmin(8)

NAME
updadmin - Invokes the Update Installation Cleanup utility to remove or archive backup files created by an Update Installation SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/updadmin DESCRIPTION
The updadmin command invokes the Update Administration Cleanup utility, which removes or archives the backup files that were created by an Update Installation process. There are no flags or options associated with this command. Running this utility is an optional step after performing an Update Installation, but it is recommended if you want to recover disk space being consumed by these backup files. The backup files that are created by an Update Installation have these extensions: *.PreMRG - A file saved to a extension is a backup copy of a customized protected system file. System files in this category are system files that are expected to be customized by users, for example, /etc/passwd and /etc/hosts. If the automatic merge process fails to merge the new version of the file with your customizations to the file, your customizations must be merged manually into the new version of the file when the Update Installation is complete. The *.PreMRG version is a copy of the file as it existed before the Update Installation and only will be present if the automatic merge fails. *.PreUPD - A file saved to a extension is a backup copy of a customized unprotected system file as it existed before the Update Installa- tion. System files in this category are system files that are not expected to be customized by users, for example, /usr/bin/X11/netscape. If an unprotected system file is altered in any way, customizations must be merged manually into the new version of the system file when the Update Installation is complete. When you are finished merging your customizations into the new version of the file, these backup files no longer are needed, and they can be removed or archived. The Update Installation Cleanup utility gives you the option to archive or remove all backup files, or to select only the files you want. You are prompted to enter an archive destination if you decide to archive the files. The Update Installation Cleanup utility uses the tar(1) command to create the archive, and the archive destination can be any archive des- tination supported by the tar command, including tape devices. The default archive location is the backup.tar file in the /var/adm/update/ directory. You can use any file name you want, but if you want the file to have a extension, you must enter it as part of the file name. If the file name exists, it is overwritten. You have the option to compress the archive file with the gzip utility; if you do, a extension is appended automatically. Unless you compress the archive file, the space savings realized by archiving to a tar file on disk will be only in moving the files from the / (root), /usr, or /var file systems to the file system containing the archive. To save disk space, archive the files to tape. To archive to a tape device in tar format, enter archive destinations similar to the following: /dev/tape/tape0c - archives to a default density rewind tape (with compression) /dev/ntape/tape0_d0 - archives to a nonrewind tape device 0. The _d0 suffix specifies the density. If you are archiving to a nonrewind tape device, it is recommended to use a brand new or erasable tape. On systems capable of graphical display, the updadmin command invokes a graphical user interface to the Update Installation Cleanup util- ity. On systems that are not capable of graphical displays, a text-based, menu-driven user interface is invoked. The Update Installation Cleanup utility is also available as a task from the SysMan Menu. To view the online help for the Update Installation Cleanup utility without running the utility, use the following command: # /usr/dt/bin/dthelpview -h /usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/updadmin.sdl RESTRICTIONS
You must have root privileges to use the Update Installation Cleanup utility. If your system has not been updated to the next version of the operating system by the Update Installation process, the Update Installation Cleanup utility cannot be invoked. FILES
Update Administration Cleanup utility Contains the online help for the Update Administration Cleanup utility. Default location of the ar- chive file SEE ALSO
Commands: tar(1), gzip(1), sysman(8), installupdate(8) Installation Guide updadmin(8)