Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming export PS1='"\[\033[1;34m\]\T \d | System_Analyst.\[\033[0m\]' Post 302098065 by mobile01 on Thursday 30th of November 2006 10:44:05 AM
Old 11-30-2006
Thank You

Thank You
Could you please clarify me more about the terminal types.
and if I am getting it as a string then how I can get the result of that like the colors.

I am getting the environment variable in a pointer to character and getenv is returning me that. So how it will be executed I mean how each time it is checked.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"BOLD" printing a variable in PS1 command

I would like to "BOLD" print the hostname in the following statement: export PS1=$USER"@"$(hostname -s):'$PWD>' Is there a special character I can put before and after the variable to make it bold or blinking? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Export PS1 I think :-0

I am 100% new to Unix and trying to learn. This is my first time even touching a script in Unix. We have the following variable script that I am trying to run.... ################################## ###### variable test### ################################## Hostname=`hostname`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to view full data "export MAESTRO_OUTPUT_STYLE=LONG"

Hi, Always when I login to Unix, I need to give the following command to view the data properly; export MAESTRO_OUTPUT_STYLE=LONG The reason is that by default the settings export MAESTRO_OUTPUT_STYLE=SHORT Please let me know how I could make LONG as the default and avoid giving the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Custom PS1 "anamoly"

Hello: Any bash PS1 gurus in the house? I have a custom 2-line prompt and it displays fine, but there is an occasional anomaly. The backspace key sometimes takes out the 2nd line. Here's the relevant ~/.bashrc code: MKF='This is my Kung-Fu' DOS='C:${PWD//\//\\\}>' PS1="\$MKF\n\\" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Export Glance "Global System Calls" data to a file

Hello... I'm trying to setup a cronjob to record system data using glance at certain times of the day. My question is, how would one export the "Global System Calls" information to a file? Below is the command I have been using and it works to export CPU information. glance -f ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fumus
0 Replies
getenv(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 getenv(3)

Name
       getenv, setenv, unsetenv  - manipulate environment variables

Syntax
       char *getenv(name)
       char *name;

setenv(name, value, overwrite)
       char *name, value;
       int overwrite;

void unsetenv(name)
       char *name;

Description
       The  subroutine	searches  the  environment  list for a string of the form name = value and returns a pointer to the string value if such a
       string is present, otherwise returns the value 0 (NULL).  For further information, see

The subroutine searches the environment list in the same manner as If the string name is not found, a string  of  the  form  name=value	is
       added  to  the environment.  If it is found, and overwrite is non-zero, its value is changed to value.  The subroutine returns 0 on success
       and -1 on failure, where failure is caused by an inability to allocate space for the environment.

The subroutine removes all occurrences of the string name from the environment.	There is no library provision for completely removing  the
       current environment.  It is suggested that the following code be used to do so.
       static char     *envinit[1];
       extern char     **environ;
       environ = envinit;
       All of these routines permit, but do not require, a trailing equals sign (=) on name or a leading equals sign on value.

See Also
	csh(1), sh(1), execve(2), putenv(3), environ(7)

getenv(3)