Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming export PS1='"\[\033[1;34m\]\T \d | System_Analyst.\[\033[0m\]' Post 302098062 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 30th of November 2006 10:36:46 AM
Old 11-30-2006
Let me put it another way
Code:
export PS1="HI there>"

Does that change your prompt to HI there> ?
If so, then start adding your escape codes. Plus, you can usually only use ANSI escape sequences. If your terminal is in VT100 emulation mode those esc[1< >m sequences will not necessarily bold/unbold the text in your prompt.
Try:
http://www.termsys.demon.co.uk/vtansi.htm

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"BOLD" printing a variable in PS1 command

I would like to "BOLD" print the hostname in the following statement: export PS1=$USER"@"$(hostname -s):'$PWD>' Is there a special character I can put before and after the variable to make it bold or blinking? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Export PS1 I think :-0

I am 100% new to Unix and trying to learn. This is my first time even touching a script in Unix. We have the following variable script that I am trying to run.... ################################## ###### variable test### ################################## Hostname=`hostname`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to view full data "export MAESTRO_OUTPUT_STYLE=LONG"

Hi, Always when I login to Unix, I need to give the following command to view the data properly; export MAESTRO_OUTPUT_STYLE=LONG The reason is that by default the settings export MAESTRO_OUTPUT_STYLE=SHORT Please let me know how I could make LONG as the default and avoid giving the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Custom PS1 "anamoly"

Hello: Any bash PS1 gurus in the house? I have a custom 2-line prompt and it displays fine, but there is an occasional anomaly. The backspace key sometimes takes out the 2nd line. Here's the relevant ~/.bashrc code: MKF='This is my Kung-Fu' DOS='C:${PWD//\//\\\}>' PS1="\$MKF\n\\" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Export Glance "Global System Calls" data to a file

Hello... I'm trying to setup a cronjob to record system data using glance at certain times of the day. My question is, how would one export the "Global System Calls" information to a file? Below is the command I have been using and it works to export CPU information. glance -f ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fumus
0 Replies
Pod::Text::Termcap(3pm) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Pod::Text::Termcap(3pm)

NAME
Pod::Text::Termcap - Convert POD data to ASCII text with format escapes SYNOPSIS
use Pod::Text::Termcap; my $parser = Pod::Text::Termcap->new (sentence => 0, width => 78); # Read POD from STDIN and write to STDOUT. $parser->parse_from_filehandle; # Read POD from file.pod and write to file.txt. $parser->parse_from_file ('file.pod', 'file.txt'); DESCRIPTION
Pod::Text::Termcap is a simple subclass of Pod::Text that highlights output text using the correct termcap escape sequences for the current terminal. Apart from the format codes, it in all ways functions like Pod::Text. See Pod::Text for details and available options. NOTES
This module uses Term::Cap to retrieve the formatting escape sequences for the current terminal, and falls back on the ECMA-48 (the same in this regard as ANSI X3.64 and ISO 6429, the escape codes also used by DEC VT100 terminals) if the bold, underline, and reset codes aren't set in the termcap information. SEE ALSO
Pod::Text, Pod::Simple, Term::Cap The current version of this module is always available from its web site at <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/podlators/>. It is also part of the Perl core distribution as of 5.6.0. AUTHOR
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009 Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 Pod::Text::Termcap(3pm)