Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX new password not available on nis client for up to 10 minutes after yppush passwd Post 302097889 by candyflip2000 on Wednesday 29th of November 2006 08:53:36 AM
Old 11-29-2006
To answer my own question for those interested:

The entries for passwd.* in the mapcache-directory (C:\WINDOWS\idmu\nis\MapCache\<domain>) on the Windows 2003 Master NIS server have to be deleted before issuing the yppush command.

It looks as the NIS client is checking there for his passwd files, despite ypwhich showing the slave server...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS stops responding for few minutes and back to normal again

Hi Friends, I have 1 NIS and 2 NFS, at every one time, the max number of user logged in is less than 60. Everytime, I need to use the NIS. The system stops responding for around 10mins and back to normal and again stops responding again and back to normal. Does anyone knows what is cause... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennifer
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS yppush error

Anyone encounter this problem before ? After updating the NIS Map file in the Central copy of the NIS Master Server, i pushed the NIS maps to the client but during the push i gets this error on some of the system. I have no idea what error ' 1831-459 ' is indicating. But the Client machine that ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: killerserv
1 Replies

3. Solaris

problem in changing the NIS passwd

Now I face a problem in changing the NIS passwd,I have no idea,want you to help me! Today I add some user in the NIS master server ,I "vi" /etc/passwd &/etc/shadow,add user account and password by hand(shadow----no password ,only eight ":"). when finsh,I login ,system told me to input a password... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlsjm
3 Replies

4. AIX

AIX NIS client

All, I have just started using AIX (Solaris admin here) and I need to setup my new AIX box as an NIS client. Where would I do this? Thanks for the help! -Kevin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to change user password from nis client

I trying to change the user1 passwd from NIS client i.e #passwd -r nis user1 Enter user1's password; Can I change the password without having to enter user password? Mnay Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam786
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 NIS Client

Hi all, Recently i have implemented NIS functionality in solaris 10 and i have created server and client with user in server side by giving useradd -d /export/home/user1 -m -s /bin/sh user1 after that I went to /var/yp dir and give /usr/ccs/bin/make so that it will refelect to client... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esungoe
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Redhat nfs client hangs after 5 minutes

New at NFS. 3 machines at hand 1 RedHat nfs Client which is connected to a spectrometer (chemistry Instrument): # uname -a Linux BH083108 2.6.9-78.0.17.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Mar 5 04:52:17 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux # cat /proc/version Linux version 2.6.9-78.0.17.ELsmp... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpg4815
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing Passwd on Many servers that is not NIS

Hi Expert, I have environment where password is locally managed, not NIS, not LDAP, not Centrally managed. In order to access to this environment I have to use Jump Box, and only from jumpbox I can login to every host. I can't login direct from inside one host within that environment to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regmaster
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with NIS client

Hi All, I have a new server on the network, I did configure the NIS. ypwhich is working and ypcat all are working. But when I log in as me, home directory is not coming up. I looked at other servers we have at work to see what's under /etc/fstab. I don't see anything for home directory. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies
yppasswd(1)							   User Commands						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change your network password in the NIS database SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [username] DESCRIPTION
The yppasswd utility changes the network password associated with the user username in the Network Information Service (NIS) database. If the user has done a keylogin(1), and a publickey/secretkey pair exists for the user in the NIS publickey.byname map, yppasswd also re- encrypts the secretkey with the new password. The NIS password may be different from the local one on your own machine. yppasswd prompts for the old NIS password, and then for the new one. You must type in the old password correctly for the change to take effect. The new password must be typed twice, to forestall mistakes. New passwords must be at least four characters long, if they use a sufficiently rich alphabet, and at least six characters long if mono- case. These rules are relaxed if you are insistent enough. Only the owner of the name or the super-user may change a password; superuser on the root master will not be prompted for the old password, and does not need to follow password construction requirements. The NIS password daemon, rpc.yppasswdd must be running on your NIS server in order for the new password to take effect. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
keylogin(1), login(1), nis+(1), nispasswd(1), passwd(1), getpwnam(3C), getspnam(3C), secure_rpc(3NSL), nsswitch.conf(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
Even after the user has successfully changed his or her password using this command, the subsequent login(1) using the new password will be successful only if the user's password and shadow information is obtained from NIS. See getpwnam(3C), getspnam(3C), and nsswitch.conf(4). NOTES
The use of yppasswd is discouraged, as it is now only a wrapper around the passwd(1) command, which should be used instead. Using passwd(1) with the -r nis option (see nis+(1)) will achieve the same results, and will be consistent across all the different name services avail- able. BUGS
The update protocol passes all the information to the server in one RPC call, without ever looking at it. Thus, if you type your old pass- word incorrectly, you will not be notified until after you have entered your new password. SunOS 5.10 28 Nov 2001 yppasswd(1)